phosban reactor running carbon questions

ok im on my way to ordering a phosban reactor while running carbon, from my research i keep being told that it puts out Phosphate by running carbon, is that true and if so would it be ok to mixed phosban with carbon?

btldreef

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3287541
Running carbon doesn't put out/leach phosphate......
+1
And if you're really unsure, Run ChemiPure Elite, it has a minor phosphate remover in it.
Just curious, where did you hear this?

mrdc

I think I have seen it stated before that carbon can start leeching stuff back into the tank after it's been exhausted and not removed. Never really knew if it was true. I just remove mine about once a month. I use chemi in my wet dry.

spanko

This is true of carbon that is washed with phosphoric acid during processing. However this is a costly process and is not the standard anymore. Most is washed with Hcl. The pores in carbon where the adsorption happens will clog quickly (around 6 weeks) and the carbon needs to be replaced. Depending on the load in the tank and how much is used (usually about 8 ounces per 50 gallons) the life will either be increased or decreased.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3287566
This is true of carbon that is washed with phosphoric acid during processing. However this is a costly process and is not the standard anymore. Most is washed with Hcl. The pores in carbon where the adsorption happens will clog quickly (around 6 weeks) and the carbon needs to be replaced. Depending on the load in the tank and how much is used (usually about 8 ounces per 50 gallons) the life will either be increased or decreased.
Very good info Henry.......

mrdc

Speaking of phosban reactors, my mini-jet 404 quit working last night. I knew I should have gotten a backup pump. Anyway, I use pura complete in my reactor.
Good info Spanko.

thanks guys
, and i heard this on about.com, they seem to always have some input on the hobby but it never seems to hold up, and im buying the whole unit today as soon as i get paid, reactor 34$, maxijet 1200 pump 10$, 10lbs of kent reef carbon 31$, that was the best prices i could find, once ordered it should be here sa
^&