Phosban Reactor

wax32

I use PhosBan... went from .25 phosphates to none in about a week. Still have cyano though...
it would probably be too much flow cowfish. unless you have the media in a bag...
Bob: with the media in a bag did it still eliminate your phosphates?

wax32

Mud:
I think I have phosphates for various reasons: My tank died (Katrina), so my rock got dead... rushed things a little setting it back up, used tap for initial fill, using RO/DI now, but I probably feed too much and have too many fish.

Y

yetti

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
im glad this i found this thread because i've been thinking about picking up one of these.
wondering if i could work this in-line with my cannister filter
hmmmmmmm
pondering.
any ideas? its a fluval 304

I'm thinking about the same...I'm planning on just running the media in one of my trays of the 304.

cowfishrule

i have phos x in 1 full tray in my 304- it doesnt do a dam thing.
thats why i was thinking of picking up the two little fishies phosban 150

euphoria

I ran pura phoslock in my fluval 404 and it didn't do anything. Those medias need to be tumbling in a reactor, and not seating in a media bag inside a canister filter.
The only thing I run in my fluval 404 right now is carbon.

mpls man

I have the phosban reactor 150 and i run the media loose so it tumbles, work very well. haven't checked for phosphates yet.

bob a.

Originally Posted by wax32
I use PhosBan... went from .25 phosphates to none in about a week. Still have cyano though...
it would probably be too much flow cowfish. unless you have the media in a bag...
Bob: with the media in a bag did it still eliminate your phosphates?

I dont think it has eliminated all the phosphates but it has brought them down quite a bit. We still get a littly cyno growing but its very manageable. I dont know what the last test results were, my wife keeps them in her PDA. Before the reactor we always had high levels of phosphates and from what I have read, the rock tends to absorb it and then it takes along time for it to leach out. This tank has been going on for about 4+ years, so it might take a while before the levels come down to 0.
The FO tank is relatively new but with some old rock (same age as my reef). I havent had a test done for phosphates on that but I am not seeing any red growing in the tank but am seeing it in the sump but that is lit by a flourescent flood 24/7. I might try and put some phosban in the HOT filter after I get some test results and see if it makes a difference in the long run. I am not that worried, this tank does get some indirect sunlight exposure and algae growth is not bad at all. Currently I am running chemi-pure and it may also be pulling out some phosphates as well. The water is generally very clear.