Phosphate and calcium readings

I just brought the two test kits and the phosphate test came with a color chart and the calcium kit did not. My phosphat reading was 1.0 and the calcium reading was 490 (if I used them right). Where do I want to be? I brought some calcium to add to the water cause I heard that it produces coralline algea growth. Does it? Should I add it to my water or is 490 too high?
This is the first time that I tested for phosphate and calcium.

stacy

Not sure about the phosphate, but as far as the calcium (from what I've read) should be around 400.

That's just it, it's no color chart to compare it just says "when it turns light blue". How light? I kept adding drops until it stop changing so I guess that was the lightest it would turn. Then I had to multiply the reading. The direction was not solid.
So you heard 400 I read around 450? Should I add the calcium? If it is too high what to do to reduce it?

stevel

Sounds like the same test kit I just got.I tested with it yesterday for the first time and my calcium was 500 I used up the whole syringe before it stared turning blue.I'm going to try it again today.If I am at 500 I need to lower mine also. I just don't know how.

broomer5

Man I'm going to start sounding like a sales rep from Salifert .......
But this is exactly why I use Salifert calcium and alkalinity test kits.
With other kits - as I was doing the titration, adding the reagent drops one by one - the color would sort of start fading towards final color I was waiting to see. It was not a distinct color change. I always saw ;
Alkalinity - bluish to sort of bluish/pinkish.
Calcium pinkish to clear blue - sort of.
But I was never 100% sure of the final reading, due to this slow fading of colors, and never new when to actually stop adding drops.
Salifert test kits for calcium and alkalinity on the other hand are very easy for me to use.
As you add the drops and approach the final point, you begin to see the vial liquid turning color and with the VERY LAST DROP - BOOM !
Complete color change in the vial.
Look at the syringe - get your number - look at chart in the instructions - and you got it !
Salifert - try it on your next test kit - or treat yourself and go get one now.
It shouldn't be this hard to get a good reading on our tank water - ya know ;)

D

dwf

keep in mind that test kits can easily be off by 50 ppm. A reading of 500 is really not too high. Try to keep it at 450 on calcium and as low as possible on phosphate. Use RO-DI water if at all possible. I also recommend Oceans Blend calcium and pH/alkalinity additives. It's all you need for a healthy reef. ;)

What's good for reducing the phosphats, because I got a reading of 1.0ppm? Should my calcium stay above the recommended point to initiate coralline algae?