Phosphate change with added reactor

lmforbis

I have been fighting this brownish algae on the sand of my 125 gallon tank for the last month or so. I have reduced lighting, reduced food, switched from plain RO to RO/DI water. Nothing has changed it has only gotten worse. I haven't been sure what it is. Originally I was thinking it was either diatoms or cyano. At this point I am pretty sure it is not cyano. I used Red Slime remover from UltraLife and it had 0 effect on the problem. I am starting to think it is just plain algae but brown not green. All the algae in my tank is on the brownish side.

This morning I hooked up a BRS GFO/carbon dual reactor. I tested my Phosphates (which have always read 0 before) just before I started it up. It read 2 ppm. I have also been adjusting my alk and mag (just got the BRS 2part reagents mixed up). A couple hours after the first alk addition I tested alk and pH to see if I could add more safely today. I decided to test phosphate too. I didn't expect a difference yet (it was 4 hours after I turned on the reactor) and it was almost 0. Is it normal for the reactor to make that much of a difference that fast?