Phosphate in tank

pepito113

So I have been cycling my tank for about a week. Today I tested the water and my phosphate is around 1.0ppm. I dont have any fish or CUC in there. So why is it at the number? My R/O water that I used to start is 0ppm.
After one week of tank cycling...
4/19/10 ammonia .50ppm, nitrite .25ppm, nitrate, 10ppm, and phosphate 1.0ppm.
I would like to lower my phosphate to help reduce any algae problems. And I know water changes would help. Just dont now why it went up.

anonome

I wouldn't do water changes just yet. Wait until your ammonia and nitrate levels have peaked, and then starts to go down.Throw in phosphate resin, or pad in there to help if you want, but no water changes yet.
Phosphate can be coming from your live rock, decaying organisms, waste, etc. Very common at the early stages.

pepito113

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/3261019
I wouldn't do water changes just yet. Wait until your ammonia and nitrate levels have peaked, and then starts to go down.Throw in phosphate resin, or pad in there to help if you want, but no water changes yet.
Phosphate can be coming from your live rock, decaying organisms, waste, etc. Very common at the early stages.
Well I have heard phosphate can come from rocks. I didnt think I have much waste since I dont have any fish or any CUC. I am going to wait to do a water change. I dont want to use any resin or phosphate pads unless i have to. Would like to do it the natural way.

anonome

Good thinking, I like to do it the natural way too. Just give it more time. Keep an eye on the levels and then use the pads if it gets out of control and water changes don't help.