phosphate levels

mmedley

hey guys
i just bought a phosphate test kit and my water tested at .4.....the kit i have does not tell me what a "good" level is......so i am just wondering if this is good or bad.....

t316

Well, I'm not familiar with IO's test kits, but most all tests should have the same outcome, which is that you want a "0" reading. My tests use a color code bar, but still translates into numbers. You posted that you have a ".4". If this is correct, then you are pretty good. But if you meant "4", with no decimal point, then....'Houston, we have a problem'. Which is it? There is a major difference.

dpeter51

Just curious what the consequences are since you said it is a problem...my LFS tested mine at about 3 and said that it was at the top of the chart or off of it. It's a FOWLR tank, I got the LR used from a local aquarist that said it had been in a tank for 10 years before he bought it. I'm using RODI water from my LFS and not adding any funny chemicals or anything, just Oceanic salt and flake/refrigerated fish foods. Any idea why my phosphates are so high? Maybe it's leeching out of the LR?

nycbob

i'd try testing the rodi water u put in ur tank 1st. food also has phosphate, but shouldnt be that high with regular water change.