phosphate problem

shobby

I have been fighting phosphates for about two months now, is there a real good product out there to battle it? I hav been using something that is brown and crumbly but can not get it past two on the scale. My algae problem is better but still there.
Shelley

hkgar

I use RowaPhos in a phosphate reactor and have been very pleased with the results.
Do you have a refugium? Macro algae is also good at absorbing phosphate. Do you have an algae problem? If so it will absorb and grow from the phosphate and just release it back in the water.

redspot321

I have never tested for phosphates in 3 years. I do however run a poly filter bi monthly just to pull out whatever may be in the water.
Just seems easier than testing and polyfilters are 5-6 bucks and remove many other things than phosphates...I think...lol

shobby

Yes, I have an algae problem. I have been fighting it for a year when I realized that it could be phosphates. I don't have a refugium. I bought a sea urchin to get at the algae but it grows faster than it can attack it. The problem is less noticeable now that I gt the phosphates down to 2 was off the scale.
What is a poly filter and how does it work? Sounds like something that I may be interested in getting.
Thanks Shelley

sula

I second the phosphate reactor - I am so much happier with my tank since I've gotten one!

I was fighting algae like crazy too. Not sure about phosphates... but my skimmer flooded my house and I took the #$MN thing off and my algae went away! It was a hang on skimmer. I am not skimming at all and my fish are really healthy! I plan on getting a professional install with a sump soon so I am not worried about skimming at this point.
My suggestion is to see what is causing the problem instead of symptom treating. Please post your equipment and maybe that will help too. Also, are you using R/O water. I was told that even if you think it is R/O it might not be. This was from the guy who has been steering me in the right direction. He knows because he used to work for those places until he opened his own reef farm. Check the phosphates in your water source.
I also test daily and maintain B-Ionic Balance. I was told that if in balance with DKH and CA, then you won't have algae issues. This system of balance is contridictory to what I learned but so far amazingly accurate!
As far as phosphates, how are you feeding? You might want to rinse and strain your frozen food. I was told that is what you should do with higher phosphates but you do loose some nutrition.
Good luck. I know it is hard when you can't enjoy your tank because of the issues. I was there about a month ago until I did what I suggested above.

flricordia

This seems to work great for the removal of hair algaEa. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6
It take a couple weeks to do so but while it is working you could have time to do as suggested above and find the source for the phosphates and maybe get a phosreactor going.
I use refugium and it works very well, natural and balanced. Chaeto algea is great to work with. There are many fine products availabel to help you overcome the hair algea and get your phosphates under control. But first find out how theya re getting into your system.
Tap water, excess feedings, tainted LR, additive? There are many sources so check each one. Luck.

cjworkman

after years of fighting with it...
I have discovered 2 important things
1) frozen food releases phosphates into the water, so over feeding of frozen food produces a dual problem, phosphates and nitrate.
2) not mixing replacement saltwater long enough causes issues. I believe because it hasn't had time to oxgenate properly.
just dealing with those 2 issues will help your tank health a lot.