Phosphate Removal..

windlasher

I hear that adding too much phosphate remover at once is a bad thing and can kill a tank.
As I am about to buy a phosphate reactor, I would appreciate it if someone woun't mind explaining why this is and how much to add.... etc, etc.
-Thanks

salt210

I am currently using 1 container at a time and am replacing weekly. I have high phosphates and am working to bring them back into check.
as for the reason why not to use too much the only thing that I can think of would be the flow going through the media. maybe that would create a problem.

kjord97

If you do not use the recommended dose of phosban media, you can add to much, which will pull out the phosphates to fast. This in turn will effectivly kill off the green algae, but with such a fast die off, can cause your tank to go into a cycle. If you add the phosphate through a reactor in the recommended dose you will slowly rid the tank of green hair algae. Usually about 2-3 days after setting up the reactor, do a water change and use your hose to pull off the algae. You will know it is working correctly if the algae comes off easy. Takes some time, but the alage will finally go away.
I use a duel canister that has Phosban on first reactor and carbon in second. Reactor cost me $39 and only need a small rio 1200 pump.

windlasher

Originally Posted by kjord97
http:///forum/post/3029982
If you do not use the recommended dose of phosban media, you can add to much, which will pull out the phosphates to fast. This in turn will effectivly kill off the green algae, but with such a fast die off, can cause your tank to go into a cycle. If you add the phosphate through a reactor in the recommended dose you will slowly rid the tank of green hair algae. Usually about 2-3 days after setting up the reactor, do a water change and use your hose to pull off the algae. You will know it is working correctly if the algae comes off easy. Takes some time, but the alage will finally go away.
I use a duel canister that has Phosban on first reactor and carbon in second. Reactor cost me $39 and only need a small rio 1200 pump.

Thanks for the info.

oceansidefish

Agreed, I just set up my posphate reactor myself...I used about 1/3 of the initial recommended amount for the first go of it. I will slowly increase this amount to not have a die-out explosion. I am very interested to see how this bad boy will work.

J

jojo727

Originally Posted by kjord97
http:///forum/post/3029982
got any links or pics of that reactor?