phosphate remover during cycle

diddley

a question below made me think of this. after my cycle my phosphates were elevated. i then started using weiss phospate/silicate magnet and they came down to near zero where they have stayed. would it be a bad idea to use the stuff during the cycle to keep phosphates down? would this help with algae or would it throw off the cycle somehow? any suggestions or thoughts?

jlm

I would like to know the answer to that ? Because I was thinking about using something during my cycle. Anybody?

birdy

I do not feel there is any need to use a phophate sponge during the cycle, it is normal for phosphates to rise, it is some thing you take care of after the cycle is over.

diddley

thanks birdy, cute babies. i'm a twin myself.
i guess what i was really getting at is this: would using the phosphate magnet during the cycle reduce undesirable algea while allowing the cycle to run its normal course? just floating an idea out there.

smshep01

Honestly, IMO I would not touch anything while your tank is cycling. That is what a cycle is basically for. Your levels will go up and down. This is normal. My tank cycled for over 3 weeks before all of the levels went down to 0. As far as phosphates are concerned. I would definately buy RO/DI water as opposed to using regular tap water. You may even invest in an RO/DI filtration system to save yourself some bucks down the road. they are a little costly, but if you have the $$ now eventually, it will pay off down the road. Also, I reccomend doing a 25% water change every month. I usually do 10% per week. This will also help in aiding keeping your water levels low. I would not start to do this until after the cycling has been completed though. Hope this helps some!
Sheppie

diddley

my newest tank i cycled for 8 weeks with live rock. i then did 2 25% percent water changes a couple of days apart. i used RO water with no phosphates. my tank tested at 0.5 after the waterchanges with a salifert kit. i started using weiss phos and sil magnet and they have stayed at near zero. the phosphates were evidently a product of the cycle. i'm just wondering if keeping them at zero during the cycle would not hurt anything and would reduce unwanted algae.