Phosphate test kit

808smokey

I need to get a phosphate test kit.
Will anyone recommend one??
There's quite a few different choices and not sure which is better/worse.
Thanks

nm reef

I also use the Salifert brand...reasonable priced...easy to use...readily available...and most folks claim they are accurate.

mudplayerx

Don't buy the ones manufactured by the makes of instant ocean. They are clunky and difficult to get the cap on.
ps- I use aquarium pharmaceuticals test kits myself.

808smokey

Well I got the salifert test kit today. I did the test and it's off the charts. Did it twice to make sure. It's a dark blue color, darkest on the chart. So that means it's 3.0 or higher :scared:

mudplayerx

Are you sure the test kit is accurate? If you had phosphates off the chart then your algae growth (microalgae) would be incredible.

808smokey

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Are you sure the test kit is accurate? If you had phosphates off the chart then your algae growth (microalgae) would be incredible.
It is...
Since I got PC lights. Under standards cheapo lights it was minimal

hans1976

Salifert all the way....with a reading like that, it is going to cause stress on your fish.......
Link Not Allowed

H

halo

So now that we know the phosphates are off the chart, how do you lower them? Should we use some of the agents that are sold to remove them, or should water chages with ro water be done?

fishieness

i had a huge algae bloom so i finaly buckeled down and god a D/I system. I needed to get one anyways. ive been doing water changes with D/I water. I also got Phos-X but its only been in there a few days. so its hard to tell how well it is working.
But although i cant see the back of my 18 inche wide tank yet, at least i can see about half way, and taht is about 9 inches more than i once could see. lol
Ill let you know how the phos-x works once ive had more time to observe.

mudplayerx

You lower phosphates by making water changes. You can also buy commercial resins that absorb phosphate. Whatever you do, do not use unfiltered tap water for your tank. It generally contains phosphates (and copper, zinc, iron, etc..)

808smokey

wELL i HAVE AN r/o SYSTEM NOW. i HATE CAPS LOCK. Anyways,
The levels have droped dramatically from 3+ off the charts to between 1.0 - 2.0. Still TOO high but getting lower every day. I change 2-3 gallons a day on my 125gal tank. I had a serious bubble aglea bloom but 90% of it is gone already. Just a few small patches here and there but it's turning brown, which means it dying?
Thanks for the help everyone!!!