nicetank

im looking to put in a pck of inverts!
but the problem is i have a high phosphate
problem can i put the inverts pck in the tank
with the high level of phosphate? will they
die ?

the rock

the rock says...
nitrates are the important factor, what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

nicetank

Originally posted by the rock:
the rock says...
nitrates are the important factor, what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

my water conditions are goood except the
phosphate wich i have been runnging a good phosphate remover.they are no trace
of any of those. ph is at 8.4 which has beeen stable for a while. please reply!

the rock

the rock says....
phosphates are always a problem in any form, are you using a protein skimmer? what kind of top off and water change water are you using? using RO or distilled water will help to lower your phosphates, as well as lowering the amount you are feeding your fish, if you have any, as well as a protein skimmer. you say your conditions are good, but i don't know what that means? any level of phosphate in your tank is a bad thing. i'd still like for you to give me an exact reading of your nitrates, telling me they are good may mean something different to you, a person that is testing it, or me. lemme know

nicetank

Originally posted by ratdogfubar:
you mentioned you use a phosphate remover. do you remove this media after 24-48 hours from the water? this media will re-release phosphate back into the water after a few days. perhaps this is the reason you keep getting a high phosphate level. to reuse the phosphate remover, bake it.

i have been using the kent marine phosphate
remover. how long should i let it run for
after i put in a new batch of remover
(new media)? ive been told by my supplier
who knows alot, that it will stay good for
3 months a batch! is that true? i have been
running the remover for 1 week so far but
no difference in the test still very dark
blue when tested! tested it today (2/19/2000)
no nitrate seen when tested also tested today
and no ammonea as well, salt level is at 1024 which is a little high prefebrely(1023)
any help would be approciated. please reply!
getting some alage on rock what will take this away? hermits crabs, sallie lightfoot?
put some snails in last week but all died!
please help!yes a skinmmer is on the tank
i have a cpr backpack system on the 55gl tank
all the water i use is from the store(ro water)!no tap water has gone in the tank at
all!!!!!!!also what do you mean by bake it?
[This message has been edited by nicetank (edited 02-19-2000).]

harris

nice tank,
5 bucks says you are using a local water supply with old copper pipes which are leaking into your water. This would explain the alagae and why the snails aren't holding up. If this is the case, do not put in the inverts they will kick the bucket. Buy a ro filter and use that for water changes.
I hope I am wrong for your case though.