Phosphates and Silicates Help

brendac

Do I need something toput the RowaPhos Remover in? I need to remove Phosphates and Silicates from my water, but what do I put the so called sponge in? Im new at this. Also my Aquarium has been up for almost a month now so would I get the Fine or the coarse filter media?

pontius

what kind of filter do you have? if you have a wet/dry filter, you can put the rowaphos in a filter bag and then just lay it right on top of the drip plate. you can also probably get a cheap hang on back filter and put the bag of rowaphos in there (not sure on this one though, but I don't see why it wouldn't work).
do you know why you have a lot of phosphates? you aren't using tapwater are you?
also, be sure to change out the rowaphos as directed as it will leak phosphates back out over time (or at least that's what I've always heard).

brendac

Its a Whisper Filter that hangs over the back. Tap water is why I have Phosphates and Silicates. So would my filter work?

pontius

do you still use tapwater? if so, don't waste your time because you will never get rid of the phosphates. if you have now started using RO water, eventually the RO water replacement and the rowaphos will get rid of the phosphates.

brendac

I hate to sound stupid... But what is RO Water? Yes I still use the Tap Water... I was never told from where I got my Aquarium not to

First R/O is Reverse Osmosis water (filter process) You can buy an R/O system for your home for around $100 or so. If you dont want to go that route some grocery stores have machines for R/O water or some LFS will sell it. Do not use your tap water since it looks like this is where the contamination is coming from.
As far as the Rwophos put it in a "footie" nylon stocking tie it in a knot and place it in your filter. Works great.

pontius

it will work fine to remove phosphate, BUT not as long as you continue to use tapwater, because everytime you do a water change with tapwater, you're just adding more phosphates than what was already removed.