Phosphates

sman

Whats the best way to get rid of them? Im using tap water right now until I get an RO unit. And it seems that every time I do a water change I get more and more algaes, particularly slime. Im running a phosphate remover pad right now, but it doesnt seem to be doing alot.
Instructions were, first pad 24hrs then change, second pad for 48hrs then change, then third pad until next water change. Kinda a pain to shutdown the canister every couple days after a water change, is there something better?

florida joe

Depending on your tank size if you have a sump you can use the product phosban it comes with a fine mesh bag

phelpz

I put phosgaurd in my filter. It works pretty well. It didnt seem to get rid of them all together since I still have a slight cyano problem. It wasnt very expensive. I think it was worth doing.

saltn00b

your in a self-defeating cycle. you are adding phosphates into your system way faster than any supplemental pad could possibly help.
until you get your RO unit installed, get RO from the grocery or hardware store. your phosphates could be the least of your problems with tap water...
after that, try a phosban reactor, stop feeding frozen foods, or strain out the meat, and add or replace your LR with new fresh LR.

sman

O, ok, someone told me they weren't a while back, but I can get the RO one cheap through work.

sman

I hate to bring this back from the dead, but its my thread so I guess I can. I have switched to RO, and run a phosphate removing pad, it did help, and alot of the red algae is gone, but as of this morning there seems to be more growing on the sand.
I have also since stopped using my canister filter becuase I didnt really need it or the possible nitrate problem it could cause.
Is there any kind of phosphate remover that I can use without a canister type system.
50g Breeder
aquac c remora skimmer
3 powerheads
t5 lighing

geoj

The red algae will thrive with either Nitrate or Phosphate it dose not need both. The reduction in phosphate will turn the tide on it but not always. With no Nitrate or Phosphate you will really put the squeeze on the red algae.
So Nitrate?

Do you run carbon?

sman

O, I get what your saying now, sorry. Nitrates are undetectable as of just reading your post using a liquid test. I do not have a phosphate test as Im waiting on the lfs to get some in stock, so ATM Im assuming(I know, wrong thing to do with this hobby) its a phosphate issue since adding the remover pad solved the problems but after I removed it, the algae came back.
But I no longer use a canister so I cant run the remover pad like I was doing, what are my other options not having a canister or a fuge.

geoj

You can still use the pad just put it in the tank in a high flow spot. The real thing to do is find out where the Phosphate is coming from by testing. Carbon is well known to leach phosphate. The water you add may have it and some buffers and food may have phosphate.