phosphates?

A

angelofdeath132

i'm getting brown algae on my c.c., i keep stirring up the substrate to get rid of it, i had my lights on for 12-13 hrs a day, cut that down to 9 hrs. still getting algae on my c.c. not as fast but still there. how do i check for phosphates? i don't want to cut any more off of my lighting time,is it time for some snails?

sdmarriott

How long has the tank been set up and are you using RO water? It sounds like you are getting a diatom bloom which is fairly common in new tanks and should subside once the nutrients that feed it are exhausted. Use of RO water can help to minimize those nutrients.
Your lfs should sell phosphate test kits. I would recommend testing for phosphates, especially if you are using tap water. A few snails might help get rid of the algae, dependent on the size of the tank (assuming that your water parameters are stable and your tank has cycled). Don't put too many snails in or they will starve. HTH.

stacy

You can buy test kits to check for phosphates. How long has the tank been running? Algae blooms are normal in a recently setup tank. It should go away on its own with time. If not you may need to look at your water source. I use RO/DI water and there are no phosphates in this water. You should still check any water that you use just to make sure.

A

angelofdeath132

my tank is a FO 55 gal. just completed its cycle last week. no live rock just a few decorative corals. how many snails should i get? there's no algae on the glass, just on the substrate.

nacl-h2o

The diatom algae is normal right after your cycle. Just a few snails will get rid of it rather quickly.