phosphoate reator help

superman59

I have a nano with a hair algea problem I am thinking about buying a phosphate reator,but i would like to know how much better is a reator then just buying a the media and putting it into a bag? What is a good reator and media.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by superman59
I have a nano with a hair algea problem I am thinking about buying a phosphate reator,but i would like to know how much better is a reator then just buying a the media and putting it into a bag? What is a good reator and media.
I just recently purchased a phos-ban reactor and put some carbon mixture (that was meant to take care of algae) and it's been good. Something about silicates (I think?).
I have heard that using the reactor forces the water through the media unlike using a bag where the water can easily flow around the bag.

snaredrum

How big is your clean up crew? I increased my clean up crew and the hair algea was gone in a week. I've tried everything before that including Sea Hares, Emerald Crabs ect. My clean up crew had to be increased.

bgrae001

What kind of water are you using? RO? RO/DI?
I had a huge problem with hair algae in my last tank. I used store bought bottled RO water. When I set up my last tank I purchased a nice RO/DI unit from another site for about $100.00 and I have never had a problem with hair algae again. I don't use any chemical filters and I have a small clean up crew, a hand full of snails and about 5 hermit crabs in a 54 gal reef.
I would start with the water and try feeding less to see if that clears it up first.
Brian