photo diary of getting started

cymbal67

it is kinda pricey isnt it....but maybe i will stay home more on the weekends and actually save money by not running gas in my boat all the time. hehe

xdave

Originally Posted by cymbal67
nice!!! thanks, damn, im obsessed already and dont even have water in my tank yet!!!!

I worked 7.5 years at a distributor just so I could get stuff wholesale and have my pick before the stores.

cymbal67

well, i just found out that i am on a 3 week delay. the odd shape of the stand is requiring a custom shape refugium that is gonna take 3 weeks to draw up and build. otherwise if i go with regular rectangle shape, i loose room for the chiller. bummer.

michael_t

B-utiful stand!
Is that the corner where you are going to put the tank in? If so it looks like you have two windows, one on each side. Does that corner get a lot of light or heat in the summer time? What about cold drafts in the winter?
Something to think about.

cymbal67

i figured since close to windows, although real thick, light-blocking curtains will be over the windows, i would put a chiller in there. thats why i have to wait for custom refugium to optimize space down there. i think the lighting i will have will hopefully keep it from getting too cold. but if not i will get a heater too. thanks all, for the comps on the stand.

cymbal67

finally tomorrow is the day!!!! i have my ro/di unit making water now to fill tank with. it took a while to get the fuge built buts its finally done (corner stand - odd shape) i should have pics of tank with water, sand and about 120lbs of awesome live rock in it soon. i couldnt believe the colors on this rock! as soon as it clears up i will post pics, here's one with tank on stand waiting to be plumbed in the morning. everything came in today, chiller, fuge, protien skimmer, uv sterilizer, ro/di unit, lighting, i cant wait.

acrylic51

I love the Coralife light system setups......I think they are neatly put together....... Tank looks good!!!!!

cymbal67

i kept getting told and reading, that i would need a chiller. well i think i might have waisted money and space underneath on it. the temp has been ranging from 74.7 to 76.2 i cut the 2 cooling fans off to help bring it up, and the canopy was off for a couple of hours while i was piling the rock. i only have the halides on for 6 hours a day, the actinics on for 11 hours and the moon lights on when actinics go off..only because thats how the guy from the lfs who came over and helped me set it up did it. he said at first i dont want the halide on too long. i think i have a $700 thermometer right now. but it did just start cooling off alot where i live. hopefully i will eventually need it, but crap...looks like now i need a heater. at least this chiller can control one with its thermostat. i just put all this rock in and so far i only have the little test strips, but it isnt showing and trates or trites, almost pure white. they gave me a hydrometer (no cost) to hold me over till my refractometer came in, they said i was better off getting that one line; their cost on one was more than what i can get one on line for. and salinity (specific gravity) is good at 1.023 to 1.025 (will know better once refractometer gets here). i dont know what other test kits to get. what are some good test kits?
here are some up close on rock

acrylic51

Cool you don't need the chiller, but maybe come summer time you just might......again you'll actually be able to tell once the lights are on 8 hours or more

cymbal67

well after putting the canopy back on and cutting the fans off its at 76.8 and climbing. maybe i will need it. but i guess the fans themselves could pull it back down some. i am so damn happy to have water and rock in!! got water, sand and a little rock yesterday, and put the rest of the rock in today. corals next, but i need the stuff to test before i start putting stuff in there.

cymbal67

i think i might need more rock....doesnt look as full as i would have thought. thats about 110lbs in a 118g tank.

katz

Sweet looking corner tank. I would have to agree with you on needed more rock. I am putting 210 pounds in the 125g tank I am currently planning.
Katz