Photos of my tank :)

H

hrheyne

Here is a link to the 75 gallon tank we got from someone somewhat nearby (180 miles) and moved to our house in my station wagon LOL
http://www.use.com/8a920ccc03a600dd6553

We finally got going late last night.
It's still a little cloudy this morning but it's clearing up.
I want to get some more live rock soon but here's what I got so far...
Can anyone tell me how to post pics directly to this site without having to post a link?

mkroher

and are those Columbian sharks? If they are, it's just a cat fish. They are born in fresh water, and as adults live in brackish water. I've heard of places that get the smaller babies to survive in salt water. Also, they will grow up to over a foot long and eat everything in your tank. Way to go.
That yellow tang looks stressed as hell.

chewwy

Yeah, so you get the tank used with the fish already in it and set up? A little more info please, also whats the big basketball looking rock in the back right? Is it just a huge round rock? Just curious about it all
Oh and yes more live rock would be good, fishies need places to hide, especially since their stressed out right now from either the move or being in a brand new tank. Either way, your gonna need to be very careful

chewwy

Oh and to post a pic on here just insert image using the button on the toolbar I believe. Looks like a little picture of a house next to the video reel button. Just find the file on your computer and select it

H

hrheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroher http:///forum/thread/382313/photos-of-my-tank#post_3335786
and are those Columbian sharks? If they are, it's just a cat fish. They are born in fresh water, and as adults live in brackish water. I've heard of places that get the smaller babies to survive in salt water. Also, they will grow up to over a foot long and eat everything in your tank. Way to go.
That yellow tang looks stressed as hell.
You should have seen the condition they - and the tank were in when I got them. I posted several posts over the last couple of days asking for id on the "sharks" and... I plan to get rid of them in the next day or two...
as for the big basketball looking thing, It is a huge dead brain coral that came with the setup.
This is from one of the other threads I started. It will tell you haw I went about things. I'm carefulling monitoring the tank to make sure I don't have a spike
As for the tang, he IS VERY stressed. He hadn't been fed in awhile according to his old owner and the temperture of the water in the tank before I took it down was a whopping 66 degrees. I don't even know how he managed to survive the move. On a good note, he is eating and also pretty active. We are keeping our fingers crossed for his full recovery.
The tank was really neglected before we got it. they hadn't cleaned it or the bioballs in months The water's actually in better shape now than it was before the move,
I did some research and devised a plan to get everything from the original owners house to mine. I'm not sure it it was the right way but I think it worked "crossing fingers" here is what I did...
When I emptied the tank, I was carful to keep as much water as possible without getting any of the debris off the bottom, near the sand bed. While draining, I carefully lifted out the rocks, taking care not to disturb any more of the sandbed than I had too. Then I Caught the fish and housed them in large rubbermaid containers with an air hose and heater. I drained the remaining water, discarded it, scooped all of the sand into buckets, loaded up the car and drove home. Once home, I scrubbed everything down with water and set up the tank and stand. Before putting the sand back into the tank, I filled a large rubbermaid tote with some of the water from the original tank and used a plastic kitchen strainer to rinse them out; scooping and shaking out the rocks under the water for several minutes each time. I tossed that water and put the rinsed rocks into the tank. Next, I placed the live rocks and put in the rest of the water from the original set up. (minimal amount of debris in the water and light clouding only. After that, I filled the remaing 1/3 of the tank with pre mixed fresh saltwater and let it run for about 12 hours before putting the fish back in.

H

hrheyne

To answer your ? I did get the tank used from someone who didn't have the time or $ to properly care for it any longer... Above I posted more info on how everything was moved. And thanks for telling me how to post a pic here. Much simpler way of doing things!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewwy http:///forum/thread/382313/photos-of-my-tank#post_3335789
Yeah, so you get the tank used with the fish already in it and set up? A little more info please, also whats the big basketball looking rock in the back right? Is it just a huge round rock? Just curious about it all
Oh and yes more live rock would be good, fishies need places to hide, especially since their stressed out right now from either the move or being in a brand new tank. Either way, your gonna need to be very careful

mkroher

I'm glad you want to get rid of those sharks. They are cute when they are babies and only $5 at large pet store chains. At night, they will swallow anything that can fit in their mouth.
I hope the tang makes it. If you can keep the lights off it might ease up the stress on him. Maybe even lower the salinity a bit. You can also soak his food in vitamins. Just be careful when soaking foods, since it is added nutrients and will contribute to your nitrate and phosphate levels.

chewwy

Thats good, I honestly thought you went and got a tank at first and threw some fish in there and I was like fail start haha.
Hope they do well tho, keep us updated with pics and whatnot. And def keep the lights off as mkroher said, that will help a lot atleast for another day or two I would say.

H

hrheyne

I think they are pretty ugly myself. I just couldn't understand how they could survive in the saltwater tank.
The salinity was really low in the original tank - 1017 so I actually only raised it to 1019 (figured I'd raise it to ideal gravity slowly) Not sure if that was the right thing to do tho...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroher http:///forum/thread/382313/photos-of-my-tank#post_3335821
I'm glad you want to get rid of those sharks. They are cute when they are babies and only $5 at large pet store chains. At night, they will swallow anything that can fit in their mouth.
I hope the tang makes it. If you can keep the lights off it might ease up the stress on him. Maybe even lower the salinity a bit. You can also soak his food in vitamins. Just be careful when soaking foods, since it is added nutrients and will contribute to your nitrate and phosphate levels.

H

hrheyne

I figured that's what you thought. I should have gave a bit more background to avoid the confusion. I'll post a new pic in a day or two - hopefully our friend will look a little healthier... Any special type of foods? Fed brine shrimp this am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewwy http:///forum/thread/382313/photos-of-my-tank#post_3335834
Thats good, I honestly thought you went and got a tank at first and threw some fish in there and I was like fail start haha.
Hope they do well tho, keep us updated with pics and whatnot. And def keep the lights off as mkroher said, that will help a lot atleast for another day or two I would say.

mkroher

Those "sharks" live in brackish water when they are adults, so the lower the salinity, the better the chance of those "sharks" surviving. 1.017 is definitely brackish. Looks like the previous owner knew what he was doing to have both the sharks and other fish cohabiting. I would leave the specific gravity where it is before you get rid of those sharks. Once they are gone, raise it slowly no more than .001 a day.
The tang would enjoy some algae to munch on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrheyne http:///forum/thread/382313/photos-of-my-tank#post_3335848
I think they are pretty ugly myself. I just couldn't understand how they could survive in the saltwater tank.
The salinity was really low in the original tank - 1017 so I actually only raised it to 1019 (figured I'd raise it to ideal gravity slowly) Not sure if that was the right thing to do tho...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroher
http:///forum/thread/382313/photos-of-my-tank#post_3335821