Pic of my Fighting Conch

danrw84

why do they call them fighting conch?
what do they do?
i asked my LFS about them the other day and the guy was like....uhh ive heard of a queen conch.
the fool
let me know
thanks
dan

saltyrich

I can answer part of it. don't know about the fighting part, but they do a great job of keeping the sand clean. They will stay smaller and also stay in the sand, whereas the queen conchs get large and move all over the sand and rock. By the way, peppermint shrimp will quickly eat smaller queen conchs!

F

fishlovr

Nice pic:) I just love mine......sometimes he hibernates in the sand for 2 or 3 weeks.....he's one of my favorites!

F

fishlovr

I got mine at Etropicals but saltwaterfish.com has them on their list....they're "sold out" right now. Check around and see what you come up with:)

dinhouse

I am not sure about the actual fighting but I had two of them and when they got near each other they would do this upward twitching thing. I think they were trying to flip each other over. Also if you look closely underneath them they have this blade looking thing they use for defense on their rear. I'm not sure but I think this may be why they are called fighting conchs. I am by no means an expert this is just my .02