picasso again

triggerhappy

i woke up this morning, went to feed my fish, and my picasso trigger was waking up. he was inside a barnacle and couldn't get out. i was freaking out trying to figure out what to do, so i took out the barnacle and broke it so he could get out. i just got home from school and he is tweakin. he's totally stressed, and his colors have faded big-time. if you can think of anything i should do, now, or in the future, please reply and fill me in, thanks!

xavier

Not much you can do. I would just wait it out. Do not stress him any more. Feeding time should be crucial to see how he is doing. Feed him his favorite.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Check for any signs of injury [punctures] from the branicle. I must say, I've never heard of anything like this before. My guess is that since many fish like to hide in close quarters to sleep, your Trigger did that and then got into a bit of a jam. I believe barnicles have some poison in them, which is why they hurt like h** when you step on them. If you see any visable signs of injury, treat with an topical antispetic, as long it is not near the eyes, gills mouth area. Otherwise, wait and see. Needless to say, refrain from putting anymore barnicles in your tank !

imperator

I know how you feel. I lost a percula clown a couple of years ago in a shell that my wife loved and demanded it be in the tank. Any way we did not see him when we came home from work, started looking and sure enough he had got stuck in the upper portions of it. Well the shell was tossed. And no shell or barnicle has ever returned to my tanks. I love to have them in there, but its not worth it. As far as your trigger, he should be OK. He is just a little spooked. Make sure his respiration is alright. If he is spooked it will be faster than usual. And should return to normal.

joecon1

Personally, I you should have waited a a little longer to see if he can get himself out the jam he got himself into before getting involved. Triggers like to hide in crevices and actually lock themselves in when threatened.
What if he isn't really stuck? And if he is, does it look like might be able to get himself out without any help from me?
Questions I would ask myself before pulling out the barnicle and breaking it.
Hope he pulls through.

I have a 30 gallon in my basement with a picasso and pork puffer. I put two pieces of live rock in there and the trigger is very happy.
Originally posted by triggerhappy:
i woke up this morning, went to feed my fish, and my picasso trigger was waking up. he was inside a barnacle and couldn't get out. i was freaking out trying to figure out what to do, so i took out the barnacle and broke it so he could get out. i just got home from school and he is tweakin. he's totally stressed, and his colors have faded big-time. if you can think of anything i should do, now, or in the future, please reply and fill me in, thanks!

fishgirl

I think you should have let your poor trigger stay in there a little longer...you probably thought he was stuck because he had his trigger erected -- that's what it's for: to keep the trigger stuck inside something, so a predator can't pull it out. If you let him relax a little my bet is he would've come out on his own. And I don't think it was smart to break his barnacle -- that's like his loved possession, his own hiding place. For now, take out all your barnacles, and replace with corals or shells that he can wedge hiself into -- but a bit bigger, this time! -- Trigger Obsessionist

the rock

the rock says...
what every hobbyist falls victim to, overreacting, next time let him be, he would have gotten out sooner or later, he probably could have stayed stuck for days, lol