Picked up a few nice pieces today

mandy111

Picked up a few new pieces today, only been in tank an hour so hoping they will look better tomorrow. Love the clam, very different to our current one, also my first acan, will have to research that one as I am not familiar with them at all. This is our second elegance so we know that will be ok. Hope you enjoy ?
007.JPG

001.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG

pegasus

Its a Lord Howe Acan. never had an acan before, so will have to research that one. lol
Geeze... you should know how to write Acanthastrea Lordhowensis, for crying out loud! LOL!!! Just kidding!!! Just make sure there's plenty of distance between them and other corals (sweeper tentacles). They have mouths, so they have to be fed mysis, chopped table shrimp, chopped fish, etc...

Nice looking leather and maxima, too!

1guydude

They don't have to b fed. Imo
Acans r pretty popular around here. I've got prob 10 diff ones or more.
Nice new pieces.
D

pegasus

They don't have to b fed. Imo
Acans r pretty popular around here. I've got prob 10 diff ones or more.
Nice new pieces.
D
I probably overstated it. I should have said that while most of their energy comes from the symbiotic zooxanthellae algae that lives inside of them by feeding the acan the sugars they produce as a by-product of photosynthesis, they might enjoy a light snack of mysis, chopped shrimp, chopped fish, etc... since they have a mouth. It's there for a reason, just like the sweeper tentacles. My bad...

1guydude

I haven't seen sweepers but yes feeders lol. Acan echinata imoe has been the more aggressor
Hths all. Happy tankin
D

seecrabrun

Yeah I was eyeing the echinata, but went with the lord for being less aggressive.

I'm a little worried about it too. I dipped it in coral Rx and now it looks like it's trying to turn inside out.

It's only my second coral, so don't know if that is normal sign of stress or what.

pegasus

Yeah I was eyeing the echinata, but went with the lord for being less aggressive.

I'm a little worried about it too. I dipped it in coral Rx and now it looks like it's trying to turn inside out.

It's only my second coral, so don't know if that is normal sign of stress or what.
It's either a sign of stress... or it's taking a poop.

pegasus

LOL I've not seen coral poop yet.
They poop. Their mouth is also their anus. Once food has digested, they pucker up and expel the waste through the same opening. It's usually a white, mat-like chunk of poop that floats around the tank for a while. It took me awhile to realize what those white things were in my tank, until I saw it coming from it's source.