Picked up a new client...

nm reef

...some of you may already know that over the past year I've started a small part time maintenance operation and currently have a 220 semi-reef/fish system...a sweet little 100 bowfront that I set up for a local business office...a 90 gal in-wall for a local Dr. and a small 29 gal fish only for a retired widower....its been some what profitable and very interesting so far. Doesn't consume a lot of my time and helps defer the expense of maintaining my reef.
Well....Red Lobster found out about my services from one of my clients and contacted me about doing quarterly maintenance on the local stores lobster tank....basic stuff....nothing too complicated....they explained that their corporate offices insist a independant vendor perform quarterly maintenance and the region I'm in hasn't yet met that requirement. The manager here and his regional manager informed me that the standard rate is $150 every 3 months plus material expenses paid directly from Red Lobster corporate offices. Tomorrow I sign the contracts on two regional Red Lobsters(one here in Clovis and another 100 miles away in Roswell) and there may be additional stores in my region that will contact me ... for out of town stores the $150 quarterly fee applies plus .35 cents per mile and cost of materials.Not a bad deal for a very limited amount of time spent ... and the extra income will help me continue to develop my humble little reef.
But this gets even better. Being very inquisitive I got on-line and researched the equipment Red Lobster uses. Basically looking for tech info and possibly manuals. Well...Marineland provides them with their tanks and associated equipment. I had a couple of questions about the manuals I found on-line and being somewhat intelligent I figured out that I could call Marineland and request info directly from their service techs. I did so and had a very interesting conversation with one of them. He was very helpful with all my questions in regard to the equipment used by Red Lobster. Towards the end of our conversation he asked me if i'd be interested in doing contract work for them at locations other than Red Lobster. It seems they provide equipment under warrenty to a number of retailers and restaurants and whenever there are equipment problems they prefer to send out regional representatives to check things out and if needed make required repairs. He futher informed me that they have nobody servicing the area I live in which would include Amarillo...Lubbock....even Albuqueque. As an example he told me that the (god I hate this place) Wal-mart Super Center here in Clovis had recently called in with a air flow problem on their lobster tank. Marineland was probably going to have to send somebody from out of state to check it out since over the phone conversations hadn't corrected the problem....long story short....I just went on my first service call and replaced two air difusers on their tank....1.5 hours - $45 per hr.....billed to Marineland......now....I don't know about y'all but i seldom have days that end up this good!!!!
Not enough to make me consider quiting my day job...but it looks like my "Wizardry Reefkeeping" fund may get a needed boost. Makes the thought of equipment up-grades and improvements...not to mention frag additions... much easier on the budget. The Marineland folks seem very interested in working with me considering I'll have limited availability...and for a part time deal the pay is decent.......:)
I certainly hope y'alls Friday has been a good one....

nm reef

$150 every three months for servicing the lobster tanks(per store)plus .35 cents per mile travel expense...check the equipment...test the water...replace filter pads and media....perform required water changes...and clean up. Looks like about 1-2 hrs work at each location once every three months....and they will call me if things need done between scheduled maintenance for an additional fee.:D

fishfreek

Hmmmmm :thinking: I beleive we have a few Red Lobsters in WI too. Sweet gig man! Maybe you can put in a good word for me at the next corperate meeting.

Good luck at the new job! Seems easy enough to service a few of those lobster tanks quaterly.
Does Red Lobser look for a maintanance person after a store open up, or do they wait until a problem occurs to hire someone? Really, this sounds like a good way to make a few bucks on the side! Do you have an additional info?
thanks,

nm reef

According to the mangement folks I've spoke to every Red Lobster is requiried by corporate to have the holding tanks serviced quarterly by a outside source. They've provided me with a spec sheet and check list. Basically clean...inspect...replace filter medias...test ammonia/nitrates...water changes.

:jumping: :cheer: :cheer:

what a great opportunity to finance your own tank by getting corporates to pay you to do simple checkups on theirs.SWEEEETT!!!

I wish i had that kind of time and skills. then the boss would not complain that i'm trying to upgrade my tank/equipment.

golfish

did ya ever think about adding milk service along with the tank service:D
How's that reactor working out? Pretty easy stuff isn't it?
FWIW, I'll be making the first batch of Diet Coke with Splenda on Monday. From what I hear it taste kind of like C2.

jlm

congrat's, that sounds awesome. It's nice to be able to do something you love and make money to support your home display.

divertrain

I just want NM Reefer to come here and help me for a less than "nominal fee" when he's in town!! lol After all, I'm not the CEO of Red Lobster! hehe

farmboy

Well Mr. Wizard,
This kinda seems like Jeff Gordon parking cars on the weekend for extra cash. . . but if you are having fun, COOL!
It does sound like a good gig.

cprdnick

Drivetrain is in my area NM. Hey, why is your website not showing anything new???? I must have your old one or something, because I'm still seeing your 55.

cprdnick

How about some pics of the new tank while I wait???? I haven't seen it since you were putting your tile down where it was gonna sit.
(yeah that's how long its been since I've been on here)

divertrain

Hey NM, sorry haven't been around to reply...Yes I am West of Amarillo probably closer to you than you are to the big city. Seriously, if you know of someone who would be interested in helping me a little with my tank, I would appreciate it. I would say that after a year that we are still not "thriving" and I am getting bored with my tank since it isn't very interesting to look at. Anyway, appreciate you on here, valuable knowledge to all!
Have a good week!
DT