Picked up my tank Now have questions

silverz28

I picked up my 135 gallon today very nice set up with skimmer and pump 20 gallon sump tank. It was a perfect running set-up. My question is now before I get it running id like to make shure I get everything right.Im wanting a Refugium setup I talked it over with the guy I bought the tank from. He liked the idea and gave me a pointer. Im thinking about drilling the sump tank and running a line over to another 20 gallon long. Would this be a good thing or is the Refugium not really needed.
Also can once im ready go ahead and fill the tank with fresh water?
Also everyone I have talked to says I should setup another tank to put new fish in before going into the larger tank can someone list what will be needed to do this. I have a couple days off coming up so Ill be doing alot of searching and reading.
Thanks and sorry for the long post. Just new to saltwater

aquaguy24

can't u just add a fuge in the sump..just divide it into three spaces..first one for skimmer. second for fuge and last for return pump... for a QT, all u need is a tank, saltwater, some pvc tube for fish to hide in. heater. powerhead and hob filter..u can set up the QT while ur DT is cycling..

geridoc

A quarantine tank is simple: A tank (I like a 20 gal long), a 6-10" length of 4 or 5 inch diameter pvc pipe (for shelter), a heater and a hob filter. Put the filter material into the sump of the dt so that it can colonize with bacteria, and keep it there. Then, when you need the qt, just add salt water, bring to the correct temp and move the filter material form the sump to the hob filter and you are good to go. btw, a cover for the qt is a good idea also.

bpro32

Originally Posted by Silverz28
http:///forum/post/2757088
I picked up my 135 gallon today very nice set up with skimmer and pump 20 gallon sump tank. It was a perfect running set-up. My question is now before I get it running id like to make shure I get everything right.Im wanting a Refugium setup I talked it over with the guy I bought the tank from. He liked the idea and gave me a pointer. Im thinking about drilling the sump tank and running a line over to another 20 gallon long. Would this be a good thing or is the Refugium not really needed.
Also can once im ready go ahead and fill the tank with fresh water?
Also everyone I have talked to says I should setup another tank to put new fish in before going into the larger tank can someone list what will be needed to do this. I have a couple days off coming up so Ill be doing alot of searching and reading.
Thanks and sorry for the long post. Just new to saltwater

On the sump/fuge connecting tanks, I think it would be beneficial but unnecessary. With a tank that size an extra 12-15 gallons of water isn't going to make a huge deal for the bio-load. If you have the time though, do it. I wanted to do it for my 60, have a 20 tall and a standard 10 connected as the fuge, but I was just scared I would crack the glass on my 20.
To answer that question simply, yes definitely get a fuge, it will make maintaining the tank SO much easier. Just separate the sump you already have for a fuge area.
Everybody else is saying QT fish first, I agree.
On filling it with freshwater it is definitely a good idea. You can fill it with tap water to leak test it first but it would be best to use ro/di just to be safe, and always use at least ro water to mix the salt. After everything is leak tested go ahead and add salt slowly straight in the tank, but make sure you read up on the procedures on mixing the salt.
Hope that helped and have fun with your new tank!!

silverz28

Okay I live in the country and have a water softener but also have the outside lines and one inside thats hard water would that work to fill it up the tanks only been down 4 days now. I was cleaning it and notice in the corners up front where the silicone is thin its peeling up looks like fish nibbled at it. Ive seen the tank for 2 years hold water fine should I get a tube of silicone and add it on the edges?
So would adding another 10 gallon tank attached to the sump be good or am i just asking for trouble?

mr_x

i would drill and add a 20 gallon tank for a refugium. as long as you don't break it, it's no trouble. a refugium is good to have. it's a giant step in the battle for clean water.
as for the peeling caulk, i don't want to give you advice that will cause you to have a ton of work, but i would never put new caulk over old caulk. if i was going to reseal a tank, i'd remove the old.
is this tank only 2 years old? if so, i think it should be fine.