picking fish

foxface88

Butterfly fish are pretty neat looking and the eat aptasia, but the also will pick at other corals, so ive been told anyway. So if you are looking to make a reef tank they might not be the best choice.

bkroemer

it is a reef tank with snails, hermit crabs, a pistol shrimp with its partner gobbi, and two damsels

J

jstdv8

clowns, firefish, cardinals, reef safe wrasses (like a sixline) jawfish,
You may have issues with the damsels being aggressive to any newly added fish though, they can get mean.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8 http:///forum/thread/382356/picking-fish#post_3336676
clowns, firefish, cardinals, reef safe wrasses (like a sixline) jawfish,
You may have issues with the damsels being aggressive to any newly added fish though, they can get mean.
+1. I would ditch the evil little damsels. They can bite you and draw blood. Trust me I know from experience.
Some good inhabitants would include those above, as well as lemon peel angel (or any DWARF angel, yes it must be a dwarf), a dottyback, and the list could go on. Only put one angel in a 55 gallon tank, these fish will be aggressive to the death if you try to add more than one.
I have a 55 gallon and I have a lemon peel, pair of ocellaris clowns, bi-color pseudo, lawnmower blenny, a barbershop goby, and a green spotted ORA mandarin. I would not recommend a mandarin without some type fuge. I opted for the ORA one because I want it to have the best chance for survival, even though I have plenty of pods.

bkroemer

i let my damsels pick at my fingers because they are 'community' fish and they dont bite me so i think they will be fine because they are also fine with the gobbi

bkroemer

would a copperband butterflyfish be ok becuase *****.com said it would pick at some types of coral but not much

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroemer http:///forum/thread/382356/picking-fish#post_3336819
would a copperband butterflyfish be ok becuase *****.com said it would pick at some types of coral but not much
Copperbanded Butterfly fish are beautiful, but very hard to take care of and get to eat.. If you are a beginner this is not a fish that would be suggested with their special care needs. The copperbaded is better left to the more experienced hobbyist. I think there would be some better choices for you than it. The Suggestion I would tell you to go with is the Flame Angel or the Coral Beauty. Yes, it says to add with caution, but there are many people on here that keep these in a Reef tank without problems, it all depends on how well you take care of them and feed them.
HTH and Just my .02

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroemer http:///forum/thread/382356/picking-fish#post_3336879
*****.com says i could have 1 of each do you think that could work
First off you are going to the wrong place for your information.. ***** is going to tell you what you want to hear because they was to sell sell sell.. I would not trust one thing that ***** or as it is referred to Deathco. They also told me that I could set up a tank and put fish in it 3 days later. I was asking about a 55 gal tank. They said that I could put just about any SWF in the 55 gal which is not true, I knew this when I asked. I just wanted to see what they had to say.. I asked how many tangs I could put in the 55 gal they I was asking about a Blue Hippo, Sailfin, Powder Brown and a Yellow tang. They told me that I could put all of them together, that is so not true especially in a 55 gal tank. I would say come on here and ask your questions because you are going to get an honest answer from people who are experienced in the hobby.
I think you can put both of those fish in a 55 gal tank, but as I stated in my last post to your question, the copperbanded is very hard to take care of and get to eat. They have special care to take care of them and have them thrive, that myself being new to SWF would not even attempt. This is just my opinion, but you are free to choose what you would like to do. I can only give advice to you I can not make your choices for you..

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/382356/picking-fish#post_3336881
First off you are going to the wrong place for your information.. ***** is going to tell you what you want to hear because they was to sell sell sell.. I would not trust one thing that ***** or as it is referred to Deathco. They also told me that I could set up a tank and put fish in it 3 days later. I was asking about a 55 gal tank. They said that I could put just about any SWF in the 55 gal which is not true, I knew this when I asked. I just wanted to see what they had to say.. I asked how many tangs I could put in the 55 gal they I was asking about a Blue Hippo, Sailfin, Powder Brown and a Yellow tang. They told me that I could put all of them together, that is so not true especially in a 55 gal tank. I would say come on here and ask your questions because you are going to get an honest answer from people who are experienced in the hobby.
I think you can put both of those fish in a 55 gal tank, but as I stated in my last post to your question, the copperbanded is very hard to take care of and get to eat. They have special care to take care of them and have them thrive, that myself being new to SWF would not even attempt. This is just my opinion, but you are free to choose what you would like to do. I can only give advice to you I can not make your choices for you..
+1000.
I would also do more research into the specific needs of the fish that you would like in your system. Trust me the damsels are NOT "community fish" as you stated. I had them in my 55 and they became super aggressive.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkroemer http:///forum/thread/382356/picking-fish#post_3337002
what does the flame angel like now that i have learned not to trust 'deathco'
They are an herbivorous fish that eat algae sheets, and prepared foods. They will graze on rocks and sometimes will nip at corals and clams. They must be the only angel in smaller tanks. IMO, they should go in nothing smaller than a 40 breeder, as they need plenty of swimming room.