Picking up tank Monday... What do I do with LR?

zincoxide

As mentioned before I just bought a tank and will be picking it up on Monday. Currently it is using an overflow box but I really don't like the look of things hanging off the back/side of the tank. I was going to take the tank to my lfs and have them drill it instead (unless this is something that I can do on my own??).
My Question: The seller is including 1 piece of live rock that is absolutely caked in purple coraline algae. What do I do with this LR while my tank is getting drilled?
Also, I'm currently finishing my basement and "the spot" might not be ready for about 1 month. I was thinking of putting the LR in a bucket of water for the time being while I was getting the tank drilled - but, I don't think it would last for a month.
Any suggestions?

oceana

simple bucket with water and an air pump to keep the water moving. maybe even put a small light on it if you want but its not really needed. all my rock tanks consist of is a big skimmer a light and a pump. nothing more. so for short term what i said above should work out fine

zincoxide

Would about 1 month be too long??
A friend of mine has some old 15g or 20g tanks that I might be able to borrow/setup in the meantime on a counter somewhere for a month... Would that be better?

acrylic51

No shouldn't be a problem as with what Oceana had suggested...you might get some die off of the purple........The tank can be drilled by yourself if you have a dremel, rotozip, or drill press......If your planning on drilling the bottom of the tank beware it could be tempered....

renogaw

just keep an eye on water parameters. may need to still do a small water change, but keeping it in the bucket with heated, moving water should keep it alive.

zincoxide

I was thinking of drilling the tank at the back, near the top... And just have the water "fall" out that hole. Is that a good idea?