Pickle jar tank

greg9871

yes i am attempting to make a tank out of one of those "big" pickle jars, the ones that are about a 1' tall and 6" in diameter. this was all inspired by coral keepers 400ml thread that i found to day while i was bored, which is a bad combination by the way being on here while bored.
well this is what it is looking like so far i just put a light on top to see what it would end up looking like and it just fit o so perfectly
Attachment 203912
notice the swf.com
Attachment 203913
i think i am also going to use the straw with bubble method for water movement, and i am trying to get a better light for it

greg9871

i was thinking a sponge and a couple zoas or possibly a single kenya tree, tomorrow im gona get some ls and lr in it

greg9871

well as soon as my parents get up i will resume working on this, im going to take some ls, lr and water from my DT so i souldnt have a cycle
, and im going to try and collect the parts for my water movement device, and possibly try to find a light or buy one or something

jaymz

I had this same idea with a jar just like that. I was going to put some shroom and a fire shrimp in it and let it get residual light from my 75. Still not sure about water movement tho.

greg9871

as soon as ace hardware opens up im gonig to go get some tubing and see what i can do for water movement, but i just put in a airstone to get the water moving for now and its like putting a korilla in there posting some pics in a sec there uploading to photobucket atm

greg9871

im also thinking about putting a pair of guppies that i have acclimated to sw in it once i get back from the store and make my water movement device, i want to put them in there to get some movement cuz once i get the corals in it it may look good but anything that doesnt move doesnt get my attention, im also going to get a couple small snails once i get to my lfs, as long as nothing swings out of control way to fast to control then ill just scrap it but i think it wont happen that fast

greg9871

ok while ive been gone all day ive been collectiong things, first i got a 70 watt Mh light from a neighbor for 20$ i think that was a good deal it needs a little modification and a new bulb but i think it will work, then i made two different pipes for circulation two different designs so i can see which will work better
the mh light
Attachment 203965
the two water movement devices
Attachment 203966
Attachment 203967

greg9871

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2693897
+1.. any filteration? open lid or are the lights snug on the top?
filtration will be just lr and ls and water changes, and it will probably end up being open lid but im still debating on which or how to do either.

greg9871

Originally Posted by Grimm Reef
http:///forum/post/2694043
What about water temps, how do you plan on keeping that at a constant level while using that halide?
im not entirely sure, in the next few days once i get the Mh fixed up then i will see what the temp tops out at since my room stays a constant 60 *f, and if the top off temp is in acceptable range then ill have to get possibly a realy small heater and set it to that temp, im hopeing that with such the shallow tank tho that the mh will be able to be higher up and transfer less heat to the tank, so it will be more controllable.

greg9871

heres two vids of my water movement devices, im getting caps to put on the top so it does not splash up as much so it forces it out the holes pointing out at the top and then i will retest them to see which one looks and works better