PICS and starfish

fireo1o

hey i just thought id share some pics of my newer 20g-l tank. its still got a long ways yet, i need more lr and i want more hermits crabs shrimp and fish, but this is after about 3.5 weeks and its fully cycled. also can u tell me what type of starfish this is in one of the photos??i bought him from my lfs but he was in the wrong tank so they never told be the type. i bout the star aout 3 days ago and the percs about 5 days ago and the hermits and snails about 2 days ago and the anenmoie i bough with the star.

fireo1o

heres another(with the star)im not sure if u can tell its kinda small but star has for legs and is kinda thorny lookin on back

cope787

wow, thats a lot for just 4 weeks. if your anenome stays alive i will be suprised, tank looks good though. does the starfish look like this...

jonthefb

is teh stra bright red with uniform color all about and irregular knobs? If so its probably a star of the genus Echinaster.....these guys feed on detritus and micro-organisms, possibly algae, and are pretty tough to keep alive in a new tank...odds are that it wont make it
good luck
jon

fireo1o

its not really like any of those ..its been in there for a week now and appears real healthy. the anenemoie also appears fine. im not sure about the star though.
thanks for the help

clarkiiboi

Have you looked at pics of chocolate chip stars? Could be it. A different pic of it and you will most likely get a correct ID. Is there a feather duster and corals in there? It looked as so in one of the pics. If so, just gonna say slow down, it takes time alot of it. HTH

ophiura

I agree with Jon, it might very well be a four armed version of this:

Image from Here
If so, it will absolutely positively die...if not from osmotic shock, then from being in a new tank, or from starvation. Most likely it will die within a month from introduction....if not, a few months down the road. These stars can not be spot fed, belong in a very mature tank (no less than 6 months), need a 4+hour acclimation and tend to do poorly except in much larger tanks. There is always a chance, I guess, but the odds are not in your (or the starfish's) favor.
Ditto for the anemone.
What sort of lighting do you have?
FWIW, you have WAY too much stuff in your tank and you are rushing things. This skips over the most basic rule of keeping saltwater tanks: be patient. Without patience, you will kill a lot of stuff....forget about wasting money....you will KILL a lot of stuff. We all learned that, but for many it was before resources like this board became available.
I really urge you to do a lot more research, and don't buy anything more until you ask on this board. Certainly do not buy more animals! I know it can be tough, but believe me, people here will help!
If you can post your exact water parameters, that would help out with knowing where your tank is at for its age!!

fireo1o

the lfs store said it should do fine and they tested my water along with me and said my tank is fine and i have great lighting for a 20..alot better than most 20's. they are some type of powercompacts i bought from a friend.
my ntrits are 0 nrated 0 ph is 8.2

ophiura

Of course they said the tank was fine....and how much money did you put in their pockets? Always value FREE advice, such as that found here, before the advice of someone who will make money from their advice. It clouds the opinions a bit, not to mention, it is amazing what sort of experience people here have- often a heck of a lot more than most LFS folks.
What is your specific gravity and ammonia? In order to understand the cycling process, these numbers are important.

fireo1o

my tanks done cycling but the salinity is 1.022 and the ammonia is 0 also im prety sure.. one of the guys at my lfs i really trust and he is a great guy. he told me when my tank was done cyclin about 2.5 weeks ago and tests my water for free ne time and gives me deals

timsedwards

OK I think backing is a personal choice! :p Ive always liked blue/deep blue, makes it look very clean and oceanic!
What are all your levels? Have you tested for Calcium and Alkalinity?
Try to take advantage of the free advise on this website, its saved my neck a load of times!
Tim.