Pics of batfish

karajay

Copied and pasted from unmentionable source.
The Platax pinnatus grows up to 18 inches. The Pinnatus Batfish prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Platax pinnatus is a omnivore and likes to eat variety of foods (meats & veggies). The Pinnatus Batfish is a medium maintenance fish and may act peacefully toward other fish. Not reef-safe. Platax pinnatus (Linnaeus 11758), the Pinnatus, Red-Stripe or Shaded or Dusky Batfish. This species is secretive in the wild, found hiding in wrecks and other dark spots, and should be left there. Requires experienced hobbyist.

dbgt

i can't insert my picture its to big. I have an orbirculate bat he's about 7 inches tall.they are reef safe until around maximum size. I keep mine with corals and there has been no damage done from him.:)

almarktool

Yes the one i posted was a pinatus bat fish also called a red fin batfish someplaces , I did not have any trouble with him in my reef tank at all , they a very pretty as they mature they loose there red stipe a bit and as u can see in the picture i put up the center starts to get more gray rather than black which continues through adult hood ,
must be kept with very timid species i would say, since they do very poorly at competeing for food also they like
low water movement not big pumps coming directly
into the tank since there tall fins are very delicate and have a large surface area , excess water movement stress's them out and they don't swim against th current as well

tony detroit

Originally posted by karajay
Copied and pasted from unmentionable source.
The Platax pinnatus grows up to 18 inches. The Pinnatus Batfish prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

For all the newbies who want one:
A fullgrown pinnatus IF you can keep it living and healthy will make a standard 300gal tank look small. These are fish best left for public aquariums and probably shouldn't be bought unless you can line up a second home.

Originally posted by tony detroit
A fullgrown pinnatus IF you can keep it living and healthy will make a standard 300gal tank look small. These are fish best left for public aquariums and probably shouldn't be bought unless you can line up a second home.

agreed . . . .

tyr-sog

Originally posted by tony detroit

Remeber GreenWoods bat. Had that for years.

dbgt

If he grew double his size he would still have enough room. I am going to get a much larger tank before that comes.Thats going to be almost double the maximum height that they grow

tony detroit

Originally posted by Tyr-Sog
Remeber GreenWoods bat. Had that for years.

Never seen it, I just went to greenwoods for the first time this summer though, maybe they got rid of it before I ever made it out there. Pinnatus are sweet fish, I'd have one if I thought it was a good idea. My 300gal is a bit too cold for one and nobody will take them when they get too big.