Pics of my 30 gallon

rebelprettyboy

1000 POST!!!!

Here are some recent pics of my 30 gallon tank. has been set up now since Jan 1st so a little over a month. Equipment 250 watt metal halide and 2 65 watt actinitc bulbs. No skimmer, No filter, No refugium, Just good old live rock and water changes. Figured I wouldnt need any of those things until I run into problems. I preform 20% water cahnges weekly and 30% last week of the month to keep everything good. Havent had any problems as of yet. Pics were taken about a week ago and since then there is absouletly no cyno bacteria in the tank!!! shoulda taken new shots today but oh well

In the tank just a coral beauty
and a green clown goby
(which I never see doing anything but laying around I dont want the guy. I sometimes see him at night with the moonlights on moving around. NORMAL?)
Corals
Trumpet Coral
Xenia
Frospawn
Various Rics
Purple Mushroom
Zoos
Inverts
Pink Tip Anemone ( I know I got it early)
Pink Dwarf feather duster
1 margarita snail
10 cerith snails
10 nassarius snails
5 astera conehead snails
5 turbo snails
1 sexy shrimp (which I havent seen since i got it. It was only like 1/4 of an inch maybe even smaller I was mad when I got it!)
Ill just post new pics on the forum also for now on so I want have to start new ones.
Give me some feedback

spanko

No pics came through. That is a lot of stuff for one month. People do run with no filtration but I hope you have a lot of rock and sand for biofiltration at least. Also when you do your water changes are you using a turkey baster to blow the rocks and the top of the san off so the detritus at least gets removed then? Loks like you have a good amount of snails that will go into the sandbed to keep it stirred.

rebelprettyboy

oh and I got some Green Star Polyps
GSP

Random Purple Mushroom IDK where it came from

Trumphet Coral (paid 40 and got like 40 diff heads on two pieces!)

Frogspawn

rebelprettyboy

My RICS love them and great color!! (Got them from FLRIC on here great guy!)

Zoos IDK what kind they are they were floating around in LFS store so they gave them to me

Feather Duster (I WANT MORE OF THESE)

FULL TANK SHOTS

spanko

Tank looks good. Like I said before though a lot of additions in a month. Also the lack of filtering would worry me, but it looks okay do far.

rebelprettyboy

That start of the forum is old I worte it last week and just never posted. My g/f orderdd me one of those Rena Smartfilters to run on my tank so for some kind of filteration so I will be using a filter now. The HOB was on in the pics so i could suck up the cyno!
And I am posting the Xenia last cuz I have some questions.. Cuz since ive had it, it hasnt really looked to good, but it look pretty good in the lfs... I was wondering where I should place it? And what to do to help it get better? Since the pics ive moved it up higher in the tank with a lil more lfow and doesnt look any better...

A little extra on the xenia rock

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2477515
Tank looks good. Like I said before though a lot of additions in a month. Also the lack of filtering would worry me, but it looks okay do far.
I know I want be getting anythng else til next month for the tank... The only other fish that will go in the tank will be 2 black and white clownfish and just more coral!
ALSO EVERYTHING IN THIS TANK CAME FROM MY ESTAB 55 GALLON THAT WAS SET UP FOR OVER A YEAR ALL. WELL ALL THE WATER AND ROCKS CAME OUT THAT TANK ALL I GOT NEW WAS SAND. THATS WHY I DIDNT WAIT THAT LONG TO START STOCKING. ACTUALLY EVERYTHING WAS ADDED 2-3 WEEKS AGO FIRST MONTH I STILL LET IT SIT EVEN THOUGH IT DIDNT GO THORUGH A CYCLE

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2477522
Very nice pics!!
Thank, which I could afford a digital camera! This was all taken with my video camera that I just had to have for Xmas and was dang near 1500 bucks cuz its an HD videocamera, but pics arent all that good, but VIDEO QUALITY is amazing!!!

spanko

Okay. The Xenia look stressed out for sure. How long have they been in there? Xenia do not ship well, where did you get them? Some people have absolutely no luck with Xenia and some people can't get them to stop taking over the plant. Maybe you have a water parameter off somewhere, maybe they didn't ship well, or maybe your tank is just no going to be one that can keep Xenia alive. All you can do is give it the things that they are use to in the wild. Here is some info:
Lighting:
Requires moderate to strong lighting. Usually, brighter is better although some hobbyist appear to have very good success with lower light levels.
Water Current:
Xenia require at least moderate water flow. They are one of the few corals that seem content to be right against the strong output of a powerhead. In still waters the pumping usually diminishes and the coral goes into decline.
Temperature:
Does well within a range of at least 75º to 83º F. Temperatures around 84º can sometimes appear to cause stress and Xenia appears to be more stable at lower temperatures of 76º - 78º.

rebelprettyboy

thanks for the info.
Since i moved it yesterday a few of them look a bit better and standing up.
But thats only like one sectin of them though... Ill keep playing with them until I figure it out.
Paramters tested this morning after water change
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 420
Carbonate Hardness 196.9 11dKH
spec gravity 1.027
Ph 8.4

spanko

How are the ones you moved doing today? You need to find their sweet spot. Then the next time you post you will be asking how you get rid of Xenia that are overrunning your thank

L

lsu

Is your xenia wild or aquacultured? I've always heard that wild xenia does not ship well. I bought some cultured xenia, placed it near my koralia and the stuff has spread like the plague. (free frags for my friends)

rebelprettyboy

I bought it from a LFS. so im not to sure. BUt two of the 3 colonies are up now. SO I think i need to move it up a little bit more so the other one can get more flow! I think that'll prolly do it!!!!

rebelprettyboy

just re aquascaped today cuz I had to get my anemone form the back of my tank which was a pain! Taking him back to the LFS.. ill post pics later. Now I need to check water levels later today and get a water change gpoing on sunday!