Pics of my DIY Project..

wamp

Hello all,
I don't hang in here alot but I figured I would drop by and post some pics of my DIY Project...
To start with, the tank is 65 gallon dirlled. The stand and the canopy that it came with just did not suit my needs, so, I built one. Here are some pics of the almost finished project.

dreeves

Looks nice...love the knotted wood. When I built my 45 stand..I wanted to do red oak...the wife wanted the rustic pine look...so she won.

wamp

Now that one looks much nicer than mine!!
Very nice stand!
Do you have a table saw? I think I could have done mine much better with one. There where a couple of times when I was cusing the circluar saw!
What type of wood did you use on the whole projesct?

dreeves

The majority of it looks to be made of laminated maple...The doors are probably solid maple.

Sorry guys, I don't think that the pic's are doing the project justice. This stand is for a 125G tank, it is 63"Lx20"Wx36"H. You are correct, I did start with maple ply ($28 pre sheet at Home Depot).
The plywood frame is 3 layers of 3/4 ply glued and screwed. The 2 ends and back panel are one solid sheet layered with the strips of 3/4 x 3. What we did is made 2"x3" frame for the stand to carry the weight. All of the corners and joints are locked together like a puzzle (I think I put up a pic of that).
Once the base frame was done we covered the whole thing is what was at one time a 500 gallon french oak wine tank. You can still see the wine stains on the inside of the doors. There is also 2 strips of black walnut on the top and bottom to finish it off. I also made a canopy to match.
I had a buddy help me with this project, he had the know how and the tools.
wamp we used a table saw, chop saw, router, saws all, pin-nailer sanders, biscuit cutter, clamps. I also used my uncles planer and 20" band saw to mill the oak. And a trip to the local cabinet shop to use their wide belt sander.
This project took about 1 month for 2 people working 2 nights pre week and 1 to 2 days on the weekend.

broncofish

Looking nice Wamp, and .357.........I might have to check it out, and hook you up with a frag or two in the future.