Pics of my new crocea clam and montipora(i think) and a question.

jim27

I got my 1st SPS frag(I think its some kind of montipora) today as well as a 2" baby crocea clam. The clam is in the sandbed with a small rock underneath it for it to attach to.
Should I super glue the sps frag onto a rock? Right now its sitting on a rock and leaning against the glass.
Pics:

tru conch

i cant help w/ your ?, but i really like your pics, esp the clams. are the pics from your nano? (im assuming they are...)

richard rendos

That is a Montipora Digitata...if you lean it against the glass, it will attach itself to the glass. I love it when they do that. Beautiful Crocea!

demosthenes

Sorry I can't help about the frag. However, I just wanted to say it looks great. The clam is beautiful. Wish you luck.

nm reef

Beautiful clam.........those babies are in future developement plans....I envy you!!! The digitata is very nice also....it can be attached via glue or just place/wedge it in and it will attach. I've recently added one in my reef......great pics!! :cool:

kinda of off the subject but are clams hard to keep? I have a 105 gallon with two vho fl. lights one atic and the other daylight. I also have to MH 250W lights as well would it be all right to try a clam?

adrian

Nice clam :D Like others mentioned the monti can be glued to a small rock. You can move it around and see where it does best, IME purple montis need bright light to keep their color, but can also loose all their purple if the light is too bright. They also like a moderate to slow current unlike most sps.
sanangelosaltfish1, clams are not hard to keep, that is if you have the proper equipment and knowledge, they require bright lighting, preferably MH, when young they require large amounts of phytoplankton more than light. They also need a constant supply of Ca and carbonates to build their shell. Some clams are much tougher to keep than others, T.Derasa comes from deeper waters, and can live and grow under moderate lighting, T.squamosa, maxia, and crocea can be a little more tricky, especally crocea, they need certain substrates in which to attach their foot, and maximas and croceas demand the most light of all. Daniel Knop has a great book on clams you might want to give a read ;) HTH