Pics of my tank

E

exile415

HEY i have a bunch of dead corals from my cousins etc .. I wanna bleach em and make it look like your tank. When you bleach em and there all nice and white how do you get the bleach out of the coral so it wont kill your fish ?

bdhough

Hmmm. I have heard that toad fish like to have their surroundings the same colors as themselves. Not sure how the white will work with him. He may loose some of his coloring.
Or maybe that was scorpionfish....

P

pas13

Exile-
I used to use all bleached coral before LR was popular. After bleaching the coral, soak it again in water with dechlorinator added. (The stuff we all used to treat our tap water with before we learned about RO/DI units.) Bleach is chlorine. I used to soak the coral for about a day or so if I remember correctly.

leontlr

The toadfish is quite happy and doesn't seem to mind the color of the coral at all. His colors have always been pretty bright.

bdhough

It takes time for it to happen. Do some research on it. I just read it from scorp/frogfish people who have kept them for very long periods.
Again i could be wrong :)

E

exile415

Originally Posted by pas13
Exile-
I used to use all bleached coral before LR was popular. After bleaching the coral, soak it again in water with dechlorinator added. (The stuff we all used to treat our tap water with before we learned about RO/DI units.) Bleach is chlorine. I used to soak the coral for about a day or so if I remember correctly.
Wow. That's exactly what I did. It's still in the bucket with de-chlorinizer. Im gonnna give it another day. Thanks

leontlr

Originally Posted by bdhough
It takes time for it to happen. Do some research on it. I just read it from scorp/frogfish people who have kept them for very long periods.
Again i could be wrong :)
Well, I've had him for a little over 3 years, he's grown alot but has yet to lose any color.

harlequin

Since you are the first person i have seen to use it, does the white of the bleached coral stay white? I mean with algae and such, surely it will turn colors and not be as bright over time right?

leontlr

Originally Posted by Harlequin
Since you are the first person i have seen to use it, does the white of the bleached coral stay white? I mean with algae and such, surely it will turn colors and not be as bright over time right?
It usually takes about 5-6 months for algea to grow back. The snails do a pretty good job of keeping it clean.
Connor, the Puffer is about 5-6 inches, and the panther is about 12-13

leontlr

Originally Posted by NaSoTaNkEr
How big was your Panther Grouper when u first got it?
he was about half his current size.