PICS of other tank

broomer5

Here's a few pics of our 30 gallon long tank.
This tank has sat idle for about 5 or 6 months with just a damsel, DSB, a little live rock and the existing lighting and filtration.
We returned the damsel, and added one single 2" sixline wrasse a few weeks ago.
Added some more cured live rock and caulerpa last weekend.
Aside from a few more clean-up crew janitors, and possibly a few mushrooms or small leather corals, this basically completes it. Wanting to keep it faily simple. But you all know how that goes :p
It's my wife's tank - she is starting to take a little more interest in the hobby now :D
We may add one more small compatible fish someday - but that's totally up to her.

30 gallon long glass tank
4-5 inches CaribSea aragonite sandbed
Wet/dry WITH bioballs / sump
Twin return lines - Twin return pumps - Twin overflows
CPR SR2 venturi driven protein skimmer
CSL 96 watt smartlite pc lighting fixture
Live rock
WON Brothers titanium heater

treble

Thats mostly what I have set-up right now. I have a 30 gallon too with a six-line wrasse, but mine will NEVER come out for pictures, he will even disapear into his home rock, there must be a nice cave inside it or something cause he spends all his time actually IN that rock. Anyways looks like a awesome plan you have, exquisit. In mine I plan to add a male blue boxfish, as my centerpiece and maybe an anemone-clown. Always impressed with your tanks broomer, good luck!

blutang

Thats a beautiful tank, however, I was wondering if the DSB has interferred with an fish additions, simply because it takes up so much of the tank space.

broomer5

Thanks BluTang
Yep - it's pretty clear that the DSB takes up a lot of real estate, and reduces the "swiming room" for fish.
Not planning to stock many fish, maybe one more small one - and selection will be limited for sure.
This is another experiemental tank. I'm trying to learn about the water chemistry mostly - but don't tell anyone :p
One of these day's I may figure it out.

broomer5

Thanks trojan
It's about 5 inches at it's deepest. Water current keeps shifting it around some - sort of high in spots - low in other.
4-5" overall depth

blutang

So, have you found that w/ that deep of a DSB, that it really helps reduce the nitrates more, or just as much?

broomer5

BluTang,
Can't say for sure on this tank because there's only one small fish. Nitrates have never been a huge problem with this tank.
I feed it very lightly and it's basically a fowlr.
Now on my other reef tank - yes I feel the DSB is finally beginning to work. I see a lot of bubbles down in the sandbed now.
I have 5 medium/small fish in it, and several corals. I feed this tank heavier than the other one - but not like I used to feed.
I just did my series of water tests on the 75 gallon tank this morning - and nitrates registered 4 mg/l using SeaTest medium range nitrate kit.
I think a combination of the deep sandbed, the algae refugium, monthly 8-10% water changes and a conscious effort on my part to limit feeding, have led to the lower nirtrate readings.
Nitrates were always in the 15-20 mg/l before making the above changes.
I've never had a tank with zero nitrates - but I'm getting closer :)

diverva

Brommer
Love the pics of your tank on your website. I was wondering about the algae you have in your refugium. Do your fish eat it if you put it in the tank. I know tangs like red algae. One of my old LFS sold it. I am trying to find out what type of algae I can grow so I can feed him that instead of always having to buy algae. Any help would be appreciated.

broomer5

Thank you diverva
The algae that grows in the refugium is mostly grape caulerpa. Two different types.
I started out with 5 varieties of caulerpa, 3 have mostly vanished, the 2 remaining are growing like weeds.
I tossed some in my tank once but the fish I keep are not big "greens" eaters. I have no tangs.
If you have a refugium you can grow it in there.
If not, you may want to consider setting one up.
Some people will grow it in a small 10 or 15 gallon tank too.
Would be a lot cheaper and more convienient than buying it for sure.

aqua blue

Great Tank pictures broomer5!!
Thanks for letting us enjoy them too.
A picture is still worth a thousand words.
I can see what a real dsb looks like.
I plan on doing something similar as $$$ slowly permit.
Fritzwilly:)