Pink Algae

cbshark

Can anyone let me know how they get the pink (coralline,calcareous?) algae to grow and how long it takes to show up? I've had my nano up for about a month and a half now and was just curious if i'm doing something wrong or what. I add some liquid calcium and some trace elements once or twice a week that i've had for about a year and a half which has been mostly unused. Can this stuff expire and do more harm tnah good? Just in case, today I ordered some Kent coral vite, essential elements, liquid calcium, strontium and molybdenum, micro vert and pro buffer. Any other additives I may need?

overanalyzer

I imagine - like anything else that is a chemical item - it could break down and not be as useful. Not sure if it woudl be harmful at all though. I alwyas recommend that you don't does without testing. So what are your levels?
Also - do you have some corraline algea in yoru tank to start the process of spreading???
Lastly - do a search in the reef forum - Kipass has had some issue getting it to grow and he finally started getting it to grow....

brooklyn johnny

Have patience!!!!
I strongly advise against many of the additives you're looking at.
What you need:
A good calcium/buffer. On your list this will be your "pro buffer" and "liquid calcium". If you already have these bought keep them. If not I recommend B-ionic, which is a two part additive that fulfills both your calcium and carbonate needs (buffer and calcium). NOTE: If you are a confident reefer I strongly recommend dripping kalkwasser. This will fulfill your calcium and buffer needs in one solution, while at the same time keeping the pH up in your nano and precipitating phosphates, causing an explosion in coralline algae (and corals for that matter). If you choose this path you will have to research, as it is a water-based solution that has an extremely high pH and could be dangerous if misused. Don't be intimidated though as it's benefits are tremendous. With that said, if you feel uncomfortable you can get great results also with just the liquid additions you have.
If you don't have them already, get a calcium and alkalinity test kit and monitor these. Do you have these kits? Coralline algae is encorporates these items into it's base as do stony corals and thus keeping this in the water is just as important for coralline.
What you don't need IMO- essential elements, kent coral vite, strontium and molybdenum, and microvert. I will explain this. I have a 10 gallon loaded with organisms, many of them calcifying. I add 1/2 gallon of fullstrength kalk per night and 10 mLs of B-ionic. Summed up that is ALOT for a nano. I do a 1 gallon water change a week. I have tested for strontium and magnesium and have never found it to be deficient. All of the products you mention may offer some benefits, but I believe the majority of times they are a waste, and sometimes a hindrance. After you are confident with your nano you may want to experiment with them, but I would nix them for now. All of the necessary things outside of calcium and buffer will be replenished with water changes. IN A NANO ESPECIALLY UNNECESSARY ADDITIVES WILL QUICKLY BUILDUP!
Before we get ahead of ourselves I'm curious, do you test alkalinity and calcium? If not that is step one. People will say that they added this and that, but usually coralline is an indicator of a generally healthy reef tank, and moreso requires a look at the CURE to the problem, rather than the addition of "Bob's coralline stimulator." If just starting out a nano go with the basics, as even many experienced nano-reefers do. Hope this helps...
Johnny

cbshark

Thanks a ton Johnny. I don't have test kits but I plan on getting then in a day or so. I oredered all of these additives online so it will be a few days before i get them. I may try to cancel the ones you recommended against.
Thanks again!

brooklyn johnny

Yeah see if you can. The best advice is to go slow. Order a Salifert alkalinity test kit and a Salifert calcium test kit and that will get you started. There are some great posts you should read up on regarding ph/alk/calcium relationships. You'll begin to understand them firsthand with your own test kits, and understand the effect your dosing schedule has on your levels so that you can adjust accordingly. Seeing as how you have just gotten started I'd recommend against kalkwasser for now. If you are cancelling it all I recommend you order the B-Ionic made by ESV Company. Happy nanoing...
Johnny

searcher

I don't know if this will work, but maybe you could by some snails and/or hermits with coralline growing on their shells.
Then when they move around the tank maybe they'll spread the algae.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by searcher
I don't know if this will work, but maybe you could by some snails and/or hermits with coralline growing on their shells.
Then when they move around the tank maybe they'll spread the algae.

alos take a tooth brush to your LR and scrub @ some ofthe corraline!

cbshark

Thanks guys, i'm going to try a bit of everything you all posted. I do have a couple of snails with some on the shells and some rock with it so I guess that's a start. I actually noticed a small area (1/8"X1/2") on my glass that looks pretty pink and not maroon. Hopefully it's now starting to grow. I also got a calcium and alkalinity test last night. My alk was a little low so i'll add some buffer but my calcium was way high, about 600 or so. I guess it won't hurt, i just won't add any new calcium and continue making weekly water changes and testing every few days. I'll post a recent photo. Right now in my tank I have the following:
5 gallon eclipse w/ filtration system
32 watt custom sealife retrofit
mini powerhead for circulation
Pulsing xenia
Candy cane
Mushrooms
Green buttons
Maroon buttons
Colt coral
Condy anemone
3 hermit crabs
1 turbo snail
1 coral banded shrimp
3 bumblebee snails
1 unknown whelk snail
6-7 pounds of live/base rock
Live sand substrate
Green coralline (money plant?)
Maroon calurpa?
Water temp kept at constant 82-83 degrees (lights raise temp so i set my heater to match)

brooklyn johnny

CB you're on the right track. 600 on the calcium is very high, but what you mentioned will bring it down. Add just the buffer for a couple of days and you will see this drop. A water change will also bring this down. Do everything GRADUALLY. You are on the right track to getting good coralline growth, which takes quite a while in a newly established tank. Keep in mind the "green coralline" you mention, also known as the money plant, is a calcareous algae in the genus halimeda that utilizes a lot of calcium carbonate. Break off one of the branches and you'll see it's similar to a piece of chalk. It's a great genus of algae to keep in the main tank, as it is not invasive and easy to control, and not on the diet of any of the herbivorous fish and inverts that go to town on the Caulerpa. I originally had this in my nano but ended up taking it out because of all of the stony corals I have, and my calcium uptake was insane even without it.
After a few times of testing you'll get to know your tank pretty well, and be able to keep your calcium and alk within appropriate levels. I shoot for 400-450 in calcium and 3.0 to 3.5 meq/l alk (8-10 dkh).
Keep up the good work and the tank looks great!