Pipe Fish

davidjapw

I live in the northeast and recently my son and I visited the shore, while searching the tital rocks we found some pipefish. We then went and purchased a 4ft. sein net and in one pull must have gotten 30-35. What type of pipefish would they be? Does anyone know?

rykna

Do you have any pictures of them? If they are not tank bred they will be a hand full. they will need enriched live baby brine shrimp or live mysis shrimp.

monalisa

Am I reading this correctly? Did you actually take 30-35 little pipefish from the tidal pool?
Lisa

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Am I reading this correctly? Did you actually take 30-35 little pipefish from the tidal pool?
Lisa
If so, you should return them to the ocean ASAP.

davidjapw

we didn't take them we left them there but they were all between 3 and 4 inches grayish brown in color with lighter bands running down the lenght of there bodies

rykna

Did it look like this?
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Expert Only
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 8"
Color Form: Blue, Red Tip, Yellow/Green
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Syngnathidae
14-Day Guarantee The Banded Pipefish is also referred to as the Ringed Pipefish. It is a long sleek fish, with a body shape similar to that of an eel. It is a greenish-yellow with black rings spaced evenly along the body. The oval-shaped tail is a striking red and is fringed in white with a white spot in the middle.
The Banded Pipefish is difficult to keep in an aquarium and should be kept with other pipefish and seahorses in a separate species-only tank that is 55 gallons or larger with multiple caves and overhangs. It will not harm ornamental invertebrates in a reef setting. DO NOT HOUSE it with invertebrates with stinging tentacles (most corals and anemones), because they can harm it. The Banded Pipefish reacts poorly when harassed by other more aggressive fish such as blennies, wrasses, tobies, triggerfish, and porcupinefish.
The diet should consist of small live invertebrates such as vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, baby guppies, grass shrimp, mosquito larva, and daphnia. If the Banded Pipefish will eat them, frozen mysis shrimp provide good nutrition. It needs to be fed at least three times per day, and is a very slow eater because of its tiny tubular mouth.
Approximate Purchase Size: 3" to 5"

rykna

Neato, I bet it was fun looking at them. i want to go scuba diving in the blue hole someday.

b0bby1

its called a northern pipefish. they are found as far north as maine all the way to florida. i catch them all the time at cape cod. i go in estuaries with a snorkeling mask on and bare hand them or throw a net out. with the net you catch tons. where do you live?