pipefish in my biocube?

fuz_munky

i was wondering if i could get a pipefish or pony for my biocube.
its been up for about a year now!
stock list:
black saddleback clown
royal gramma
bangaii cardinal
RBTA
red carnation
frogspawn
an assortment of zoas

reef_dart21

i wouldnt keep no pipefish in a biocube with that many fish
(edit) also seahorses cant be housed with any coral with sweeper tenetacles (such as ur frogspawn)

teresaq

also, that RBTA would make short work of a slow seahorse. Sorry.
Maybe time to start a new species only tank. A nice 29 gal with a pair of horses and gobies.

fuz_munky

yeah i was thinking about doing that. . . whats the smallest tank size i could keep a pony or pipefish in im thinking of getting a 14 gal biocube

teresaq

14 gal might be alright for a smaller species such as h Comes, but species like kuda, reidi, erectus need a taller tank. I am not sure the height of a 24 gal but generaly a 29 gal is a good size. one f these kits are good.

teresaq

no not really better, would be your preferance. just as long as tank is at least 18 to 20 inch tall.
T

teresaq

Yes, but they can be kept with none agressive fish like gobies. Look for a thread that is titled tank mates.

lizzy

I dont think that the tank has to be special in any way....it can be any shape. Just as long as its tall enough. and for reg size horses at least 29 gal. for dwarf 10 and under is best. Tank mates are what has to be special. (am I getting things right experts? lol)

jmick

Originally Posted by zeke92
http:///forum/post/2528185
if you want a $30+ supper for your RBTA then yeah as pipefish would work for a day or so...

I have my pipefish in my tank with a very large RBTA and a large Rock/Flower Anenome and it's just fine. IMO, it's a fairly strong swimmer...deceptively so.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Jmick
http:///forum/post/2528923
I have my pipefish in my tank with a very large RBTA and a large Rock/Flower Anenome and it's just fine. IMO, it's a fairly strong swimmer...deceptively so.
jmick u have a VERY large tank that the pipefish will/can avoid the anemonees
now he want a biocube in which the anemonee will take up most of the space even if it doesnt kill it at first(including yours) your pipefish WILL die to it.............you are just able to dely the inevatable

jmick

Originally Posted by Reef_Dart21
http:///forum/post/2528938
jmick u have a VERY large tank that the pipefish will/can avoid the anemonees
now he want a biocube in which the anemonee will take up most of the space even if it doesnt kill it at first(including yours) your pipefish WILL die to it.............you are just able to dely the inevatable
Agreed, in the biocube it's more likely that it could become anemone food. I stress, these animals are better/stronger swimmers then seahorses and can more easily avoid stinging corals and anemones. My pipefish has a couple of feeding stations it hangs at and tends to avoid the areas where I have my anemones. In fact, if this one continues to do well I plan on adding another.