pipefish w/ seahorses

greg9871

ok, i have a 30+(not sure exactly) gal. tank and i have 2 seahorses(black) in it i think there reidi, and i was wondering if it would be a wise desicion to put a couple of the alligator or ringed pipefish that are on sale in it also. thanks Greg

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2601884
No, most pipes are wild caught, and can carry pathigens that will harm your horses.
T
Unless his horses are wild caught also...if they are tank raised then the answer is no, if not, sure you can.

teresaq

I guess I should have put it this way, Most seahorse keepers do not mix them. -- Unless they come from the same source.--- Unexplained deaths are common.
T

zeke92

i THINK mine may have been WC and mine were fine. i added the pipefish before i got seahorses though, so i don't know if that would make a difference (time for temperature to kill pathogens?).
you can always quarantine or something. pipefish and seahorses are like cousins so besides the wild caught part there great additions. mine is a copepod monster

greg9871

lol already got one going just trying to get it ready not sure what im gona put in it yet, also trying to convince my mom to let me get another 55gal, itll be my 4th one
if she allows it

zeke92

wow my mom gripes about having just one 55g in the house. i can't imagine having 3 (or 4).

goldmanx

My 12+ seahorses (4 species) & 12+ pipefish (5 species) do great together !
(note: mandarin, dragonface & banded in foreground)

cranberry

Were your comes WC?
Mixing isn't a 100% fail situation.... the risks are much greater of a failure is all.

pledosophy

Goldenmanx,
I would love to hear more about your system and how long it's been running. Your tank is quite beautiful.
I would be open to all the information you care to share. Mixing species has been controversial, I'm not here to udge, just to learn.