Pipefish?

nygel

dunno why i wanted to put a question mark on the end. Its obviously a pipefish...believe its a banded pipefish. he was getting a little harrassed at the LFS and I've been tossin around the idea of getting one for a while, low flow reef with no predators. I've done a decent amount of research btw. probably not enough.

b0bby1

nygel i forget wut kind it is, its on this website. but thats my favorite fish, wen i go on vacation in cape cod in mass i always catch them in the bay. pretty cool fish. i want to get one of these badly, do u think it would work in a 20 gallon? post some more pics!!!

kevin34

Originally Posted by b0bby1
i looked it up its a reef fish
Those need a species only tank right?

b0bby1

thats wut people say but u can keep it in a tank as long as thers nothing aggressive in it. its the same thing as seahorses, some people have them in species tanks n others have them in 20 gallons with a royal gramma n a clown. im prolly gonna put one in my 20 long. got a sixline n a clown in ther now.

b0bby1

dogstar have u ever kept one of these, i was thinkin bout keepin one with my clown in my 20 gallon reef

dogstar

Originally Posted by b0bby1
dogstar have u ever kept one of these, i was thinkin bout keepin one with my clown in my 20 gallon reef
Nope, I have never kept any syngnathids. They require a very specilized systems and lots of knowledge of the hobbiest and still difficult to keep long term in most cases. I keep a reef with corals, anemones, tangs, large clowns, dwarfs, ect. and IMO, a Pipe or Pony just would not work for me. There are lots of beautifull and intresting species that I would love to have but I have to consider their lifes over my wishes.

nygel

dangit, it was labelled banded and i was told they were a good beginner. Oh well, i'll read up and do what I can. he only does stuff at night, can I adjust this somehow so he is more active at night? I'm going to get another though, since they like to be in pairs. The only thing that is dangerous to him is a frogspawn towards the top of the tank. But its in more flow so I doubt it'll ever go up there. I make sure it eats too. thanks!

b0bby1

nygel its in ur 29 gallon rite? cus i wanna keep it with my fish too would it work?
post some pics if u can

nygel

I'm no expert on pipefish by far, but the general rules I saw when researching were to make sure their isn't high flow cuz they hate that, make sure nothing could hurt them cuz they are slow (anenomes, stinging corals [oops], mean fish), and make sure they eat (pretty much feed them with a syringe of something). So I'd say do some research and see what happens.
I just went in to take a few more pictures of him (it is a he). He is moving around more, he's not just in the front of the tank, hes exploring the rock structure I made for him. So here are some pics from today, and a fts from yesterday. [you could also check out my thread in 'nano tanks']

nygel

and bobby, idk, like i said i'd just look up soem stuff. I try not to advise anyone on anything cuz the things I do in my tank are sometimes controversial.