piping

striper

setting up my fuge is regular pvc pipe(the white stuff)safe or do i need to use cpvc piping that is used for drinking water(off white color)second Q I'm going to gravity feed down to my basement into a 20 gal tank thats divided in half with the feed line going in one half then pumped over to the other side using a wet/dry filter having 15lbs of live rock and some live plants? then getting pump up with a little giant pump does it sound right?

legion

I used regular pvc. You should use a none pump flow to the other side, there is no way to match the return pump to the pump moving water to the other side of the sump, one will evenyually run dry, if I read what you are doing correctly

Regular PVc wil be alright, but I am concerned about the 20 gallon tank, sump that you propose. Why not a giant rubbermaid container?
In case of power outage, where does the water in your system go?
It has to go tho the sump. So the sump has to hold all of the water in the piping and the level above the bottomof your over flow boxes.
If you're gonna put this in the basement (I am so jealous) make a giant refugium with bangaai's and clownfish breeding. Some Guy has a similar setup that he is proud of...but I forget his name.

striper

Thanks for the info. my divider has a .50 inch space on the bottom using the sand as sort of a filter and still allow water to flow through. now thinking about it you may be right i was tring to get as much water as i could through my wet/dry before getting pumped up. as for the 2Q if the power does go out i may lose some water onto the floor won't be a deal. and would love to set up somthing bigger but right now i don't have the room. i'm going to buy a cpr cs50 ouerflow Ihere there one of the better ones $66.00

steveoutla

The only reason CPVC is used is because it can handle hot water. Regular PVC can be used for drinking water as well.
My question is, do you have to let the pipes sit for any period of time after glueing them to let any residual fumes dissipate?

bang guy

Originally posted by striper
as for the 2Q if the power does go out i may lose some water onto the floor won't be a deal.

One more irritating question :)
After some water is lost onto the floor will there still be enough water in the system to prevent the pump from running dry when the power comes back on? A pump in that situation may overheat, fail, and possibly contaminate your aquarium.

striper

Yes the only water lost will be from the piping the sump will be full right to the top. as far as the fumes a few hours should do it.