pistol shirmp hunter?

ajwaters

okay. so the scoop is. just got direct tv haven't watched cable inyears. but anywho.
we have been watchin animal plant and national geogr. for about 3-4 hours.
So we see this show. and it shows a pistol shrimp and it taking and clicking it like they do,
so the pistol is hanging around and there is a cleaner shrimp nearby. the pistol shimp starts to snap his claw and he "disinoriatates"
(spelling im sure is way off) but over all he confused the the cleaner shimp the cleaner hits the floor and the pistol shimp jumps on him and eats him.
So im thinking. I know i have a pistol shimp i don't see him often but the stock that i HAD of pep shimp had diminished in a short period of time. i thought it was the CBS and still think he had a good part.
But has anyone heard of Pistol shrimp being unsafe around other shrimp??????

wocka

i heard it sounds like glass breaking even out of a tank? i geuss they wouldnt be safe with fish

wocka

if i was a fish and heard that stupid click all day i would savagely bite off all his arms and let the snails eat him

wocka

lol um okay.. completely blew over my head with the snaping Zorro thing. but saltcreep is dangerous to a tank?

ajwaters

Well i don't belive everything i see on tv. But it was kind of hard just to let it slip by. without puttting some thought in it.
it wasn't a fish it attacked it was and another shimp. (cleaner) and i have had a few disappearens.
it was kind of cool they also showed a peacock mantis shimp.
they put a crab under a drinking glass and showed the mantis break the glass to get to the crab.

rwhite

Saw it too, the pistol taking down a cleaner. That was crazy. I loved the sound effects they added. BANG!:eek:

nm reef

I watch those shows too...I also have a tiger pistol in my reef with a pair of skunk cleaners...a pair of blood reds...and 5 peppermints...so far the pistol has been fine. All the shrimp present and accounted for...for about 4-5 months. I don't believe the pistols available for aquariums are as potentially lethal as the ones on TV...you know...make belive and acting and such. Everything on TV is exagerated!lol
:rolleyes:

rbmount

I'll say this from experience, don't get your finger too close, it hurts, then my fingertip was numb for a couple of minutes.