pistol shrimp

evanjah

my local lfs has a pistol shrimp for sale for $24. Is this a good deal? I am curious if I should be leary of it. I have cleaner,peppermint and coral banded shrimp in my tank. A orange shoulder tang,rabbitfish,and a black percula clown. I have lots of hermits, snails, and a rather large cucumber. It is slowly being coverted into a reef tank. Would it be safe to add something like this? also i have sandsifting stars and britle stars.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2964850
I will hide, and most likely die if you don't buy a goby to pair with it.
lol.
Ya, I hear they make really cool partners in a tank.
The pistol shrimp will bring food for the goby. In return the goby will use its keen eyesight to be the lookout for predators.
Be sure to introduce them together. Otherwise the shrimp will try to partner with an already established goby, which leads to stress.

wildjosh

Everything they are saying is true, if you don't have a shrimp goby, you will never see the pistol shrimp and it will "most likely" die. Also i'm not sure where you are from but, $24 seems kind of steep, I can get them for $15 in New Hampshire all day.

J

jeremye83

I have a pistol shrimp and it refused to pair with my goby.... It has instead paired with my one anemone!! slowly killing it.. I have tried moving it, moving the shrimp, almost anything. He just keeps going back to that darn anemone.. And by the way I see him constantly no goby and it will die? absolutely false

It will burrow none stop so make sure that your rock work is very secure...$24 is cheap for my area... see if they will do a shrimp goby and the pistol shrimp for $40 if so that will be a great deal

meadbhb

Hiya,
I got my banded goby and pistol shrimp at the same time. I only paid $36 for the two of them. If I remember correctly the pistol was $24, but they gave me a little break since I was buying both. I also released them together and they'd paired up in less then 1/2 hour. I let the goby out first, and released the shrimp, while in a net, near a spot I'd piled some rubble at for him to start building. I also experianced some moving of my base rock as he tunneled under it, so do be careful of this.
I think they make a great addition to the tank and I enjoy watching them and hearing the shrimp go off. He is not shy about snapping his claws and does it ANYTIME he wants, day or night.
Kim/Meadbhb

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2964850
I will hide, and most likely die if you don't buy a goby to pair with it.

I have a pistol, and a watchman, and they have nothing to do with each other. So I don't think that getting a pistol automatically requires buying a watchman. I also have a cleaner, and no problems with them playing nice together.

I might be wrong on this.....but I don't think a pistol and watchman are even compatable. Mine is a Bullseye pistol, and someone once told me that they don't require/accept a host. Accurate info......at least as far as my tank is concerned.