Pistol Shrimp

buzzword

I have a Bullseye pistol that I love. I have a Randalls goby but the two have not hooked up and have read that Bullseyes won't pair with shrimp gobies. Question is is can I get another pistol and would the pistols be ok together in a 120g? Any thoughts?

buzzword

well the answer to my question is NO. Put in a Tiger pistol and had brawl session going on. Bullseye pistol dogged him everywhere he went in the tank. Finally got him out and returned him. Bullseye pistols don't pair with gobies and don't tolerate other pistols in their domain!

T

tatoo3

Originally Posted by Buzzword
http:///forum/post/3163978
well the answer to my question is NO. Put in a Tiger pistol and had brawl session going on. Bullseye pistol dogged him everywhere he went in the tank. Finally got him out and returned him. Bullseye pistols don't pair with gobies and don't tolerate other pistols in their domain!
I was able to keep two tigers in my 90. I also had a watchman gobie. They did fine together.

btldreef

Originally Posted by tatoo3
http:///forum/post/3164003
I was able to keep two tigers in my 90. I also had a watchman gobie. They did fine together.

Bullseye are the more aggressive pistol, aren't they?
I've heard that the Randalli is the most peaceful one and they can be kept in pairs in larger tanks and will pair with almost any watchman. I'm about to set up my 14G for a pistol shrimp/goby pair.

E

eric b 125

i'm really considering getting a pistol shrimp. i've had a watchman for a while now. is there anything to take into consideration when buying a pistol shrimp? if the randalli is the most peaceful that's the one i'm going to get.

buzzword

Pistol shrimp are great, one of our favorite inhabitants. My plan was to get the tiger pistol to pair with my Randalls goby b/c after a month the Bullseye has no interest in pairing with my goby. The thing with pistol shrimp is they DIG! My guy has an elaborate cave system and I am glad that I put down eggcrate to stabalize my rock work. He has built rubble walls around his caves too, pretty cool.

E

eric b 125

my tangs, clowns, mandarin, etc are safe if i add a pistol shrimp, no?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3164282
my tangs, clowns, mandarin, etc are safe if i add a pistol shrimp, no?

Should be fine with a Randalli from the research I've done. I have all of those in my tank as well. The main thing to consider if you already have a watchman is to make sure the shrimp is not too small that the watchman can eat him

E

eric b 125

for sure. what do pistols eat? i dont mean to hijack the thread-i just figured that while the subject was brought up i might as well investigate.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3164409
for sure. what do pistols eat? i dont mean to hijack the thread-i just figured that while the subject was brought up i might as well investigate.
Most useful info I've found on them thus far:
"The Pistol Shrimp may also be called Symbiosis Shrimp and Snapping Shrimp. It is found in a variety of colors and sizes. Pistol Shrimp are not easily sexed, but the males of many species are thought to have a larger pincher. The sound it makes comes from an appendage on the pincher which moves when the pincher is opened or closed and water is ejected. The Pistol Shrimp can be easily confused with Mantis Shrimp if judged by sound only. Unlike the Mantis Shrimp, it is not harmful and will not pose any threat in the tank, with the possible exception of smaller shrimp.
The name Symbiotic Shrimp comes from the equally beneficial relationship the Pistol Shrimp has with gobies (e.g.;Amblyeleotris or Stonogobiops). The goby, with better eyesight, warns the shrimp of predators. The shrimp share its food with the goby. Depending upon the species, Pistol Shrimp may also have symbiotic relationships with sponges, corals, or anemones (e.g.; Bartholomea annulata).
It is beneficial to the tank as it churns the sand. It thrives in environments with sand, rock caves, and dim light. If in pairs, one will often stand guard at the burrow while the other is inside. The Pistol Shrimp is intolerant of copper or high nitrate levels, but needs a correct level of iodine in the water to promote proper molting.
Pistol Shrimp will accept freeze-dried and frozen foods and bottom feeder tablets, as well as scavenge for algae in the aquarium.
QUICK STATS
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Max. Size: 2½"
Color Form: Assorted
Diet: Omnivore
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Caribbean, Eastern Asia
Family: Alpheidae"
hope this helps

cajonez

I've actually seen my randalli pistol pick at hair algae. Other than that I squirt a couple mysis shrimp down the burrow for it and my watchman.

btldreef

Originally Posted by cajonez
http:///forum/post/3164626
I've actually seen my randalli pistol pick at hair algae. Other than that I squirt a couple mysis shrimp down the burrow for it and my watchman.
Do you keep any other shrimp in your tank?

spacemonkey

My bullseye eats every other invert I have tried to keep. He's eaten about 10 cleaner shrimp before I finally figured out what the culprit was. Crabs gone, Snails gone. The only thing he hasn't affected the population of is turbo snails (probably too big) and my cucumber and Urchin. He's going back to the LFS as soon as I can catch him.