Pistols and Pepperments

jkp rules

Question! So I got a pistol shrimp a while back and he's hanging out with my little goby. They're pretty cool together but they're not all that dynamic in my tank. I'd like to get a couple of pepperments or maybe a coral banded shrimp but I'm a little worried that thi pistol shrimp will decide to eat them. I have no real basis to believe this other than a video I saw about pistol shrip where it showed a pistol blasting a pepperment. Is this an actual issue or has movie magic misled me? Also, how come SPS's, leathers, and zoas thrive in my tank but green star polyps just lay down and die? Thanks for the help.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP Rules http:///forum/thread/379855/pistols-and-pepperments#post_3303262
Question! So I got a pistol shrimp a while back and he's hanging out with my little goby. They're pretty cool together but they're not all that dynamic in my tank. I'd like to get a couple of pepperments or maybe a coral banded shrimp but I'm a little worried that thi pistol shrimp will decide to eat them. I have no real basis to believe this other than a video I saw about pistol shrip where it showed a pistol blasting a pepperment. Is this an actual issue or has movie magic misled me? Also, how come SPS's, leathers, and zoas thrive in my tank but green star polyps just lay down and die? Thanks for the help.
Is the goby and pistol shrimp the only inhabitants of the tank?
Does the pistol shrimp basically stay in it's cave or does it roam (some do roam)?

If he stays in his cave, you should be fine with peppermints, fire shrimp or a skunk cleaner shrimp. I would not get the coral banded. I have a pistol that I have successfully kept with peppermints and fire shrimp and he was fine, but he barely came from his cave, he actually will take food right from my hand so there's no need for him to go hunting for food.

mrdc

If he is hanging out with your goby, that should protect him more since that is how the symbiotic relationship works. I agree and would avoid the CBS since they can be mean. When my pistol had his cave, I would put some pellets around his cave and it would come out to grab it. I was considering getting another pistol if there is a chance that they will pair up with my orange spotted goby.