Pit bulls

380reef

I am 16 years old and i really want a pit bull.. Does anyone have one or does anyone have any infomation on them?? Anyone have pictures???
Thanks,
Drew

bigarn

They're a very misunderstood breed with a bad rap IMO. If they're raised properly they can be very affectionate and loyal .... if brought up to fight it's a whole different story. Sad, very sad.

mimzy

Hey Drew - awesome that you want a dog!
I hope your parents are as excited about it as you are, LoL. :happy:
Do a search on Google for "Pitbull" or as GAfish suggested, "Staffordishire Terrier"
-you'll find a lot of good info.
Also, if you hit up Pet-Finder dot com, you'll find a lot of great links.
Do your research, these guys are great dogs when theyre brought up correctly - but because of their reputation, certain cities have laws regarding keeping them. Make sure to check this out as well before you get one.
Personally, I think all dogs should be acquired through shelters or adoption programs - there are hundreds of thousands of beautiful babies out there who deserve loving homes just as much as the pedigrees do!
Plus, you can sometimes find certified pedigree dogs in local shelters - and there are always breed specific rescue organizations as well! Look for a pitbull rescue organization - these dogs are a breed in trouble, I'm SURE there are people out there trying to help them!
Good luck, and please keep us posted!! :jumping: :jumping:

clarkiiboi

Well, I agree with bigarn. I am still weary (sp) about them though. What about a boxer--my neighbors have one and its a gentle dog if and I stress if she knows you. If not, dont touch her yard, house, family, etc. Anyways I found a great website years ago when looking for a dog. Look at this. It gives you all the info you need on about every dog. Still being 16, it's not really up to you yet, but this may help.

nyyankeees

Like bigarn, I was always an advicate for the "it's the owner not the dog" theory, until my parents got a pit bull. They got him as an 8 week old puppy and he was family raised, around small children and spoiled rotten for 2 yrs. Then one day my mom, myself my 2 little nieces and a family friend and her 2 sons were all in the backyard just hanging out all was fine the kids and dog were runinng and playing ball, until.... as we all watched in horror when the oldest one of the boys who was 8, just went to pet the dog and did nothing and i mean absolutely nothing to prevoke the dog in anyway and the dog just preceeded to turn his head around and take a big chomp out of the kid's arm!! We all freaked and started yelling at the dog and luckily he let go. It was still a serious enough injury that he needed alot of stitiches and later plastic surgery. The hospital auotmatically calls animal control and they told my parents they either had to put the dog to sleep or it would be labeled as vicious and if this happened again they would be held soley responsible. My parents felt so bad and so guilty for both the dog and the kid but after thinking it over a couple days they decided to have the dog put to sleep. Even though they were heartbroken to lose their dog they said it wasn't worth the risk of always having to be "on guard" around the dog and worrying about it attacking someone. Just take this story for what it's worth, dogs are still animals and even if you do everything right as an owner sometimes things can still go wrong, and with some breeds the risk is higher than others, you jus have to decide if the need to have the dog you want is worth it. My parents now have 2 border collies and they are the greatest dogs ever!! IMO pitbulls are dogs for mature adult only homes/owners and aren't really for a family setting, I know others will disagree but after my family's experience, I wouldn't own one again, the risk for me is just too great.

scubanoah

also make sure to call the warden in your county to make sure they are not restricted or banned. i went through this over a year ago w/ my bull terrier and it was a mess.

judyk

They can be great and very loyal dogs, but when and if they do bite, it's very bad. Also, they are banned in many areas plus most homeowners insurance won't cover houses with them in it. You'll be moving on your own in a few years and housing will be limited. At that time you'ld be very attached and having to give it up would be hard. At 16, I would have to wonder why you would want such a potentially dangerous breed that requires so much responsibility. Just think about it seriously, before you commit.

pwnag3!!

most people think that they are

[hr]
dogs and that is what lures them to this breed... if you want something that is just as loyal and probably more protective get a doberman.... mine is 10 weeks old and very smart... i taught him how to shake in only a day. and they arent small like most other dogs if that is what you are looking for.

teresaq1

I would also say get a dobie. female. they are the best imo we had heidi for almost 10 yrs, biggest babiy there was, great with kids and family, even strangers as long as we said it was ok. hehe she passed away last yr. she is missed very much in our family.

gamedawg

If you want some info, email me any questions you have. I have been researching, breeding, training, showing and LOVING Pit Bulls for 14 years. I have a good website for some info you can take a look at, I am always working on it, so if there's something you don't see, let me know.
Pit Bull Info

gamedawg

Here are some pics of dogs I have owned or produced.
Pic 1- Cali, a pup from Cinder and Lucius (pics 4&5)
Pic 2- Jade, a pup from Cinder and Lucius also, but in a previous litter than Cali.
Pic 3- Portia, my Chihuahua, and Cinder
Pic 4- Cinder Block, 5 years old
Pic 5- Lucius, 3 years old

gamedawg

I have more pics on my other site, Osiris Bulldogs
And if you go to that first link I gave you, go to the visitor's dogs page, there are TONS of dogs on there, from all over the world.

flux

I adopted a dog a little over a year ago and when I was at the shelter looking they had some pits. They said you had to have proof of $100,000 in liability insurance to adopt them. I feel bad for these dogs. I would guess 90% of the people that have them got the dog for the image not because they love the breed. Get a mutt.

zman1

Originally Posted by flux
I adopted a dog a little over a year ago and when I was at the shelter looking they had some pits. They said you had to have proof of $100,000 in liability insurance to adopt them. I feel bad for these dogs. I would guess 90% of the people that have them got the dog for the image not because they love the breed. Get a mutt.

This might have something to do with it..... See table 1
File from the Center for Disease Control
ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Publications/mmwr/wk/mm4621.pdf

copperband

mine were crazy one killed his brother wich is crazy since i named the 2 kane and Abel
but mine were
surel's which are usaly used to fight i don't fight dogs but they were born ta fight they got way biger than any other pitbuls i have ever seen when i used to take them 4 walks nobody mess with me
*Edited for profanity*