Pit bulls

380reef

I have one more question.
MY parents will most likely not give into the idea of getting one but does anyone know if Frats at collages allow dogs???
I would assume some would but can someone who has been to collage tell me?

ntrigger

they do it so they build up strength. They have to drag that chain around the stronger they get the easier they move around. I really don't agree with this but that is my opionion.let the dog be if he is going to be a big build dog then they will be. My pitt ended up turning on my cocker spaniel, he was hurt really bad did not know if he would make it. My pitt litterly (sp) ripped his skin from the top of his neck all the way to his back. Never showed any aggression to my dogs previous to this. don't know what triggered him. He was grate with people, but could not take the chance of him getting a hold of a person, did not want that on my mind. We had him put down, broke my heart to do it but it was something that needed to be done. I still love the breed but will not own one again, (I know this can happen with any breed but I did not like the site of the attack).

380reef

sorry about that.... putting a dog to sleep is always a sad thing.

I do not agree with the chain either... it looks annoying for the dag... :notsure:
Anyone have any more info on some of the other questions I asked??

julius

I have 11yrs with these dogs I have 4 of my own right now.My advise to you is read all you can before buying one these dogs are not for everyone ask ? about them always listen if someone have any advise for ya it will come in handy. here's my website
http://www.freewebs.com/blacksand29/index.htm
Hey Gamedawg are you still painting photos I got a couple I want you to do for me.
Later Jay

jeffreyjr

personally going away to college, I would not want the added responsability of having a dog with me either in a dorm or an apt.....
These dogs need training...they can be very stubborn.

nyyankeees

The frat house I used to hang out/ party at had dogs, I think it is up to the landlord you rent the frat house from. :thinking:

gamedawg

Originally Posted by ntrigger
they do it so they build up strength. They have to drag that chain around the stronger they get the easier they move around. I really don't agree with this but that is my opionion.let the dog be if he is going to be a big build dog then they will be. My pitt ended up turning on my cocker spaniel, he was hurt really bad did not know if he would make it. My pitt litterly (sp) ripped his skin from the top of his neck all the way to his back. Never showed any aggression to my dogs previous to this. don't know what triggered him. He was grate with people, but could not take the chance of him getting a hold of a person, did not want that on my mind. We had him put down, broke my heart to do it but it was something that needed to be done. I still love the breed but will not own one again, (I know this can happen with any breed but I did not like the site of the attack).

Just because a dog is bad with other dogs, does not in any way mean they are bad with people. Pit Bulls were designed to fight, and that's what's in their history. However, they were NEVER bred to be people agressive, and in any breed standard for Pit Bulls (UKC, AKC, ADBA) it says that human agression is not a natural trait in these dogs and if the trait comes up in a dog, it should be culled. (put down or not allowed to breed to pass on the trait)
My adult dogs both came from fighting lines. OLD STYLE fighting lines, where the old time "dogmen" (men who bred and raised dogs to fight back in 1950 and earlier) paid VERY close attention to the dog's health, temperament, etc. They did not care what color the dogs where, if they were "big and bad ass", etc. What mattered to them most was if they were healthy, couragous, strong, intelligent, and had a very good temperament. They were in it to make the breed perfect, and be able to keep the breed that way. These are the type of lines I got my dogs from, and beleive me, they were not easy to find. As a result, my dogs are awesome with people and kids, but of course they have that dog agressiveness. They have perfect health, with no defects or disease in their background. No hip displaysia, no allergies, no skin problems, breathing problems, NOTHING. If a dog was not healthy, or carried some kind of defect, it was NOT ALLOWED TO BREED.
That is the MAIN PROBLEM with people today. They will take a male and a female and breed them, without concern for health, temperament, intelligence, NOTHING. They just want to make money, or see what the offspring would be like, or for stature, etc. They want a Pit Bull so they can feel big and cool. (kind of like what SOMEONE on this post sounds like...)
These dogs are very good dogs if you get them from the TRUE breeders who pay attention to the quality of their dogs, and are not in it for ANY other reason but to keep the breed how it is supposed to be. Look at the breed standards on my website, and this will tell you how they are meant to be.
THye can be stubborn, but this is because they are very intelligent. They learn very quickly,a nd hold info for a very long time. They are very loyal and are courageous. While they are not people agressive, they can and will protect their owner if something bad to arise. They know right from wrong. They will not misjudge a situation and act out if they are not needed to. They can be very active, or they can be very calm. My dogs are very calm. When my male was a pup, people used to ask if there was something wrong with him, but he was just a very calm dog, and still is. They can be trained not to go after another dog, or act crazy around them, but a Pit Bull should never be allowed to be alone with another dog unsupervised, as I'm sure you know from your experience. THey will not always start a fight, but they certainly can finish one. That is just how a PIt Bull is. That is why people need to research this breed before buying one. They don't do any reasearch, then they wonder where it came from when their dog gets into a fight and seriously hurt another dog. They were bred for that purpose for over 100 years, and everyone needs to realize that, and they need a strong minded and physically owner in order to be able to deal with that. Pit Bulls aren't for everyone. They are not for beginners,a nd they are not for people who don't do their research. They are also NOT for anyone who wants one to look COOL, or to make them mean. They have a bad enough reputation right now, they don't need any more help.
http://geocities.com/caseypitbulls

ntrigger

I am glad to hear you dogs do great with you family they all should.
I agree with you gamedawg, you should research before you get one. My commet was not to putt the breed down nor to say they should not exist. This is just to my experience.
I had my dog for 5 years he was a great dog, during his first 2 years he never showed any aggression to other dogs. After that he really did not like big dogs at all, he never showed aggression to my cocker before this insident but it could of been something my cocker did to him (don't really know).
My dog was in good health, we take care of all our pets make sure they are healthy, ( wife works for a vet). I did not go to all the detail on why i put him down. my wife tried to get my cocker spaniel and my pit would not let her get to him he was like in a trance, growling at her it took her a while by talking to him that he finaly snaped back in and let her get him. That is why put him down, we can't say no pitt has not attacked people, also can't say they all do it but don't want that over my head if at one point in time (my dog) would have done something to someone. He was a very gental dog.
my Mother has one of my Female pitts, she is a great dog my kids can play with her and I am not affraid of her doing anything to her. She may knock them down while running but that is all.
It has been 2 years since I put him down, I do miss the dog this is a breed you should research and make sure this is the dog you want. Like you said you should not get this breed of dog or any other dog if you just want to show off (look at my I got a pitt ) trying to be bad and cool. You should get this breed or any breed if you really love and treat it the way you are suppose to with love.
don't think I am trying to dow pitt bulls that is just want to make sure these dogs get into loving hands and not for fighting . this is only my opinion

julius

Originally Posted by Gamedawg
Just because a dog is bad with other dogs, does not in any way mean they are bad with people. Pit Bulls were designed to fight, and that's what's in their history. However, they were NEVER bred to be people agressive, and in any breed standard for Pit Bulls (UKC, AKC, ADBA) it says that human agression is not a natural trait in these dogs and if the trait comes up in a dog, it should be culled. (put down or not allowed to breed to pass on the trait)
My adult dogs both came from fighting lines. OLD STYLE fighting lines, where the old time "dogmen" (men who bred and raised dogs to fight back in 1950 and earlier) paid VERY close attention to the dog's health, temperament, etc. They did not care what color the dogs where, if they were "big and bad ass", etc. What mattered to them most was if they were healthy, couragous, strong, intelligent, and had a very good temperament. They were in it to make the breed perfect, and be able to keep the breed that way. These are the type of lines I got my dogs from, and beleive me, they were not easy to find. As a result, my dogs are awesome with people and kids, but of course they have that dog agressiveness. They have perfect health, with no defects or disease in their background. No hip displaysia, no allergies, no skin problems, breathing problems, NOTHING. If a dog was not healthy, or carried some kind of defect, it was NOT ALLOWED TO BREED.
That is the MAIN PROBLEM with people today. They will take a male and a female and breed them, without concern for health, temperament, intelligence, NOTHING. They just want to make money, or see what the offspring would be like, or for stature, etc. They want a Pit Bull so they can feel big and cool. (kind of like what SOMEONE on this post sounds like...)
These dogs are very good dogs if you get them from the TRUE breeders who pay attention to the quality of their dogs, and are not in it for ANY other reason but to keep the breed how it is supposed to be. Look at the breed standards on my website, and this will tell you how they are meant to be.
THye can be stubborn, but this is because they are very intelligent. They learn very quickly,a nd hold info for a very long time. They are very loyal and are courageous. While they are not people agressive, they can and will protect their owner if something bad to arise. They know right from wrong. They will not misjudge a situation and act out if they are not needed to. They can be very active, or they can be very calm. My dogs are very calm. When my male was a pup, people used to ask if there was something wrong with him, but he was just a very calm dog, and still is. They can be trained not to go after another dog, or act crazy around them, but a Pit Bull should never be allowed to be alone with another dog unsupervised, as I'm sure you know from your experience. THey will not always start a fight, but they certainly can finish one. That is just how a PIt Bull is. That is why people need to research this breed before buying one. They don't do any reasearch, then they wonder where it came from when their dog gets into a fight and seriously hurt another dog. They were bred for that purpose for over 100 years, and everyone needs to realize that, and they need a strong minded and physically owner in order to be able to deal with that. Pit Bulls aren't for everyone. They are not for beginners,a nd they are not for people who don't do their research. They are also NOT for anyone who wants one to look COOL, or to make them mean. They have a bad enough reputation right now, they don't need any more help.
http://geocities.com/caseypitbulls
Amen Gamedawg i couldn't have said it better myself.

gamedawg

ntrigger
My whole speech wasn't all pointed at you, and there was no sour feelings toward you for what you did. You did what you thought had to be done, and that's your choice. Sorry about your loss. If you ever want to try a Pit Bull again, let me know.
I just wish that people that have human aggressive dogs would put them down, instead of letting them get a bad rap.
Thanks JULIUS, I am very passionate about this breed, and am very strong with my points. I get very frustrated with people that own the breed but know nothing about them, or worse, THINK they know everything about them, but could be further from the truth. Those people usually won't listen to anyone else trying to give them CORRECT info, and basically look more and more ignorant. I built my website to inform people, and ONE of these days, I will put my book out there for everyone to clear up all the bull$h!t floating around about these dogs.
WHICH brings me to something I ask of all Pit Bull owners, past and present, to email me with any stories they have about thier dogs, that would help bring them into a better light. I have many stories saved that I am going to fill a chapter with in my book. I also have TONS of pictures of people's dogs, and could always use more.
Stories and pictures: cbpits@yahoo.com

avbryce1

Gamedawg I have been around pitts my entire life and I am glad to see that someone that is well educated on pitts responded to this post I couldent have said it better myself