pix of my new 150 gallon (im a noob)

jasony

im total noob to saltwater
moved into a house that had a tank already and a wet dry filtration setup.. i simply added water, salt... 50 lbs of live rock and 4 damsels.. i plan on just fowlr
its been up and running for about 2 months..
the tank is in the middle of my kitchen and dining room, so i dont want rocks against either side...
any ideas on what i should do?

watson3

Originally Posted by JasonY
any ideas on what i should do?
Looks great so far, but there will come a time when you will wish those damsels were never in there...You are saying you will eventually get them out, but the more you add, the harder it will be....

joojoo

Lol, agreed, but I bet he cycled with them.
You can stack a narrow wall of rocks in the middle which the fish can swim on both sides of which will give 2 different views of the tank....unless you wanna be able to see the other rooms through the tank...

jasony

thanks... are there any rods or platforms for sale that allow u to stack live rock in formations that would otherwise fall over?
how do ppl go about hiding the overflow tower?

joojoo

Usually the overflow is in view until coralline algae starts to cover it. You can get some pvc pipe and try to rig a live rock stack, not sure what you would use keep it together though.

azfishgal

Great tank! If I went shopping for a house and that was in the house, that would pretty much do it for me, "where do I sign."

I have a 125 gallon and on one side the rock is stacked, no glue or zip ties (which is another option). It's very stable and I don't think will go anywhere. My fish will be able to swim on both sides, the back side will be a good hiding place for them in my tank since it's up against a wall. Here's some pics:

This is the same rock from the front view.

The camera doesn't show several other openings that the fish can swim through and also small caves to hide in. You just need play with it a few times before you get it just right, and stable.

sherms

i would suggest to go ahead and start working on your cleaning crews since that can also add up to be alot of money. i would start out with snails and crabs at least.

taznut

that is 50lbs of lr?? or is some in the sump??? looks good so far... going with reef or FOWLR???

jerthunter

I would recommend building a base structure out of PVC and then attaching the live rock to the pvc. You can buy a two part underwater epoxy to attach the rocks. As far as hiding the over flow you could try surround it with rock so it is not as noticeable.

ledzep fan

there is also a apoxy that is used to hold rocks together so that they don't move. They come in a coraline alge color too. I've been using it and have no regrets.

azfishgal

Another tip: I used base rock (not live rock) for the very bottom of my tank. The sand is covering most of it anyway and it will save you money. That base rock will become live eventually. Save the extra $ for your fish or more live rock.