"pixie Seahorses" HELP!!!

katara

I stayed up waaaay too late last night (as usual) and purchased a seahorse family<2 adults 2 juv> so I ran out today and bought all the equipment..tank10 gal,whisper mini-filter,fake plants,& stones..then I added in the water from my 10 month old tank(levels were A-OK)..It's cycled water right,so it's a cycled tank..yes, nooo???Is this ok??Seahorses are coming Fri. morning.I know, I know..I did plenty of research..just need some experienced advice..
Thank you...
Katara

carrie1429

The tank may cycle. If you had live rock that would help a lot, seahorses like live rock anyway. Seahorses should be added to an established tank, but maybe they will do ok as long as your levels stay stabalized. Also its good to have live sand because seahorses main foods is coepods and as you probably know LS contains coepods. Well let us know how they do :D

itchy

Katara, the thing with using cycled water in a new tank is that the filter and bed of tank has not cycled. You will still go thru a cycle in this new tank. What will help is LS and LR and maybe take a piece of filter floss from your established tank and put into the bottom of the new filter. Keep in mind seahorses are hard to keep, but if your gonna have them be sure to add hitching post for them. This can be fake plants, fake coral, or live, just as long as they can hitch. Also seahorses eat live brine but only a couple for each seahorse 2-3 times per day. Be sure to take one day for them to fast......no food at all. Please do a search on this animals to get some info before they arrive. Good luck;)

katara

Thank you Itchey & Sydney..Sydney..I'm very glad to hear your advice because even before seeing it I was already following it..I have small size black pond stones as a substrate and only fake plants..I did add a pair of Mustangs ( I think) they are about 4" tall,spiny and black.I was spending hours just looking for the pixies(teeny, tiny!)..you're right, now that I've added the other seahorses they are getting around more and more aggresively chasing their food.BUT what should I do when I run out of the baby brine provided in the shipment??These pixies are just too small for anything else..even brine & mysis are about 10x too big for them to eat.My LFS's don't sell babybrine and the pixies are not even remotely interested in anything frozen(which i figured I could chop up).Thanks again..ALOT!

katara

I suppose but bbs don't stay as small as I need them for very long and at shipping them twice a month I'd be spending about $50 a month just to feed my pixies!What really irritates me is the site I bought them from ranted and raved how ALL of their seahorse (and Pixies too) were raised on frozen brine..Thats totally not true with what I'm experiencing.

katara

Thanks again Sydney..and again, you are right...I only wish I had not gone into the purchase of the pixies so quickley..Honestly, I don't have the time todecap & hatch their food everyday.If you'd like you can have them(free).If not, and anyone in the Los Angeles area would like to come for them let me know.. :eek:(

katara

Sydneyseahorse:Thank you so much for extending your help,I really appreciate you going out of your way for me & the pixies!Thanks for your offer Reefer, but I made arrangements this morning for Gizmokab to adopt them as they can also accept my Mustang....And YES, I have learned my lesson..Thank you again!

katara

Thanks Sydney & I'll definitley be here for you if you ever decide to go reef.For that matter,if you ever come to the states I'll be here for you too.The horsies will be on their way to Indiana Thursday afternoon(cross your fingers for them) Hell, if they can make it through a week w/me,they can make it through anything;) Take Care!