PJ Cardinals

goldberg33

Hey I was thinking about buying a pair of PJ Cards and I was just wondering what they eat and if they would breed in captivity?

culp

my cardinal fish eats the pellets i feed them.also they will breed if you have a male and a female. but its almost impossible to tell the difference between them.

small triggers

if you have the space get 5 or 6 (i cant remeber if it should be odd or even) and you would have a better chance of getting a breeding pair. They do reasily breed in the aquarium, though you need to have seperate tank to raise the fry in,,, and lots of other stuff i dont have the patience for,,, good luck

big

I have three witch I added about two years ago.(the wife's initials, I had little choice) LOL)....
Seem to be very hearty little fish fish.and active eaters too. Especially pellets, mystics and the such., they are not picky eaters but mine pass up on Algae.
I too feel the odd number is an advantage with them when it come to aggression among themselves. As to breading I have not a clue, never have noticed it with mine. If there is just a pair, one fish may or will tend to become more dominate. I do see occasional chasing of each other for territory in the tank. They each, after a couple of years have their little home-ranges far apart from each other...........
A total number you chose would , like said would be dependent on tank size. I would think a minimum of three if the tank can support them.... Good Luck........

jarodw45

Years back when I had my 180 I had 3 of them and 2 paired up, the male carried his little eggs in his mouth for a day or two but then they dissapeared. They will readily breed in aquaria but the fry are difficult to raise. As for what they eat, anything except algae like Big said. They will even eat small shrimp when they get bigger. Bangi's are easier I think but are somewhat rare right now.

dondemi

I picked up 3 PJ's a couple of weeks ago & they don't seem to be even touching the flake or pellet food that I feed my other fish - they just pick at the algae on the tank. Going to LFS in the morning to see what else they have to offer them.
What else do they eat? They seem to be healthy & happy!

jarodw45

Originally Posted by dondemi
http:///forum/post/3022350
I picked up 3 PJ's a couple of weeks ago & they don't seem to be even touching the flake or pellet food that I feed my other fish - they just pick at the algae on the tank. Going to LFS in the morning to see what else they have to offer them.
What else do they eat? They seem to be healthy & happy!
Mine eat anything that hits the water except for algae sheets. But they really like brine or mysid shrimp the best.

small triggers

Are you sure they are eating algae and not pods?? mine decimated my pod population until they got bigger and would eat more frozen food.

jarodw45

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3023656
Are you sure they are eating algae and not pods?? mine decimated my pod population until they got bigger and would eat more frozen food.
Im with you on this one. I am sure they are eating the pods that are on the algae. They do not that I know of eat algae.