Placement and # of DIY fans in 125 canopy...

my5girls

Would you go with 2 or 4 of the new Ice Cap 4 inch fans in a 125 canopy. 1 on each end or 2 on each end. Also do both ends need to blow across the water, pointing toward each other or one end blow out to vent the canopy? I am kind of confused on that issue. I will be running a combo of 3-250w MH and 4-96w PC or 4-80wT5.

misfit

I would use 4 fans,close off the back 2 blowing in a 2 blowing out and place the top of the fan even with the bottom of the light.Or at least thats what i have and works beautiful.Running 3x250 DE HQI + 4x96w PC And the haildes are about 10" to 11" from the water

reefnut

Having the fans blow across the water is the best way to keep things cool... although the ultimate goal is to get air flowing through the canopy.

my5girls

Tha canopy is open in the back. It is kind of on the short side though, maybe 7 inches tall. I am getting the retro lights with the UV shield so hopefully that will be alright as far as being about 6 inches off the water.

reefnut

Should be fine... with an open back you will not get a "draft" through the canopy so personally I'd use four fans positioned to blow across the water. Maybe one on each side and two on top??

thegrog

I'd say one on each end and one on the top-center would be enough. With the open back, there will be a natural air flow out so no need for too much air flow.
Just my opinoin.