PLacement for pulsing xenias

nickadam

I have had some xenias for about my 2 months now and had only grown 1 new stalk. Im thinking this may be casued by wroing location. My water paremetars are good. what would be the best placement for the pulsating Xeinas? Medium,strong, or low water movment. Where are yours located in the tank..

mrdc

Originally Posted by nickadam
I have had some xenias for about my 2 months now and had only grown 1 new stalk. Im thinking this may be casued by wroing location. My water paremetars are good. what would be the best placement for the pulsating Xeinas? Medium,strong, or low water movment. Where are yours located in the tank..

Low water movement.

candycane

Mine dont seem to care about water movement at all. I have them all over the glass, they just keep fragging themselves and barely get blown around. However I am having the same problem with mine lately. I know my Iodine is a bit high, then again i know about 20 people that are having the same problems. Maybe something with the summer ending or something weird.

ant11899

Mine was at mid level in my tank and walked it's way up tot the top where the light is much higher and has spread like CRAZY there. The current is medium/low there.

poniegirl

I have one high in the tank (umbellata), one mid (the pom pom) low/med flow for both. Good strong light. Umbellata has been in for two months, pom pom just one month. Both very robust, pulse and rest, great color. Water parameters, 30 nitrate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 8.2 ph. 0.026 SG using a good ole hmeter.

mrdc

My thought on low water movement was for pulsing. Mine cannot pulse if they have too much flow. Saying that however, most of mine has moved up and spreaded while doing so and now most of them are getting blown around like crazy. Some of the xenia is almost poking out of the water. It doesn't seem to bother them because they are still splitting and growing. I also have mine under halides but my neighbor grows them for us for store credit and he has CFs and his grow insanley. He has to cut a lot out every two weeks and that's not including what he is growing on rocks for the credit.

pchromis

From what I read hear about Xenia and it's spreading, isn't it kind of a pain the neck to keep it under control?

S

sea_star

Can you keep Xenias under PC's? I have 260 watts on my 72g.

miaheatlvr

My xenia is so interesting to watch, i dont mind it spreading and then when i have to much, which i feel i am far from. I will share with my friends!

mrdc

Originally Posted by pchromis
From what I read hear about Xenia and it's spreading, isn't it kind of a pain the neck to keep it under control?

It can be.
Can you keep Xenias under PC's? I have 260 watts on my 72g.
Yes.

nickadam

IM still wondering my xenias have not spreaded like they should. IM going to try playing around with their placement and see if that works.

nygel

is there any other pulsing coral similiar to xenia's but won't grow like crazy? I think they're pretty cool looking but i just want a small amount not an entire tank

S

slofish

Originally Posted by nickadam
IM still wondering my xenias have not spreaded like they should. IM going to try playing around with their placement and see if that works.
Mine spread in the same direction as the water flow. the water flow current was probably low-medium.