Placement of pump in sump

litlfishy

What would everybody say is the prefered placement of a pump in the sump. Submerged in the water or out of the sump and run in-line? I'm thinking that by taking the pump out of the water there will be less heat transfer. Also if I may, can I solicit any recommendations for a reliable and quiet pump? Thanks for all the help!!

bigmac

litlfishy,
Both have their pros and cons. I like to use a submerged pump for sump return only because its easier to maintain. What sizeGPH pump are you looking for?

litlfishy

I am getting a 180g main tank with my 55g as a sump/refugium. I was looking at the Mag series pumps. I'm leaning towards the Mag 12.

bigmac

Even tho a Mag 12 says it will do 1200 gph their kind of not telling you the whole truth(that's what it will do with 1.5" pipe). I used a Mag 12 (in fact I used two Mag 12's) for sump return. One for the chiller the other for more flow through the sump. The thing you have to think about what kind of tank is it going to be. Most 180 gal reef tanks are going to need a lot more flow then what a Mag 12 can do, most 55 gal sumps can't handle all the flow you'll need so you have to use something like powerheads or a closed loop.
I like Mag pumps. I have used a few of them over the years without any problems. If your set on a Mag I would suggest the Mag 18. You'll still probably need some more flow tho. The Sequence or Amp Master pumps are good too if you go external

You should probably want to do more then a Mag 12, I'm doing a 155 and I am running a Mag 24. Depending on what other equipment you use, the rate of flow will decrease, for example, I tee-ed off the return lines to my nitrate reactor and other equipment, and depending on the height it will effect the flow rate.
Phil

litlfishy

Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm planning on having fish, live rock, anemones and some mushrooms. I know that everybody gets the reef bug and I probably will too!! So I'll upgrade the Mag pump. Another question I have that maybe somebody can help with. I plan on getting an overflow box and they are rated for a certain number of gallons per hour. If my pump is returning water at a lower rate than the overflow box takes out, is that OK? Also, what do people mostly do with the return water. Plumb it like a spray bar, drop it down into the tank with a piece of PVC, what?

bigmac

Originally posted by litlfishy
Right now I'm planning on having fish, live rock, anemones and some mushrooms. ?

Please do your homework before getting yor anemone. These critters are best left in the ocean. For every one that lives longer then a year 100 or more are killed..here's a link that might help.
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen8.html
Originally posted by litlfishy

If my pump is returning water at a lower rate than the overflow box takes out, is that OK?

If your pump has a higher GPH rate then your overflow you could flood your tank room. You want the pump to pump less water then your OF's can handle.

krux

i run a mag 24 on my 115, and will be upgrading it to my ampmaster 3000 as soon as i get it back with new seals. a mag 24 on a 180 will be too small i think you will find, especially if you use it to power your skimmer.
on a side note, mags run externally are generally pretty loud when you get to the 18 and larger. mine is noisy, but i can't hear it over the other equipment when everything is turned on, so i dont mind. if you want to do it once, and do it right, get your tank drilled instead of going with an overflow box, and go with an ampmaster 3k. you will never be sorry and decide to redo it (a statement i can't make for an overflow box and a mag 12). the cost of getting your tank drilled will be less than buying an overflow box, and you can get it drilled anywhere you want, not being limited to having stuff run over the lip of the tank, interfering with your canopy/hood.
hopefully the tank is acrylic, when i did my plumbing it required 13 bulkheads to be cut, and it only took a 14.00 bit and about an hour of time, glass you gotta take the tank to a glass shop and pay them whatever they think a hole is worth, usually 20-30 bucks, but still less than the 75-100 for an overflow.

krux

mag 24 working as hard as it can to produce flow in my system. it powers the skimmer, calcium reactor, and sends a tiny bit of water to the fuge.

goatfish

Since everyone is talking about mags I have a quick question that is related. I had a mag three returning the water from my 10 gal fuge and after a few days I noticed rust on the screws that hold on the intake/return housing. This wsa using it as a submerged pump. So the question. Should this be detrimental to my tank. I would think having any metal other than your standard pump shafts especially metal that is rusting would leach udesirable meavy metals into my water. Also do all the mag drive pumps use these metal screws or just the smaller ones.

dreeves

Get a pump larger then the rated flow of your overflow...then install a relief via a "T" above the outlet flowing back into the sump...
It is much easier and cheaper to over buy and compensate with cheap PVC components....versus underbuying, risking a flood and having to re-buy a bigger pump...
Having more pump then needed also allows for the expansion and/or addition of additional items...
On one of my systems...my Little Giant pump powers the main tank and 10 gallon hex (both upstairs), a refuge and a little circulation for the sump...the other system powers the main tank also upstairs, and a small refuge co-located to it...Both are Little Giant pumps which I am thoroughly happy with.
Neither would have been possible if I purchased a same size pump matching the overflow...In my opinion...mag's make excellent salt mixing pumps...I also use a Mag to refill the sumps with...I drain them with the Little Giants...makes short work and I dont get my hands wet...